Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I'm building this box to kevins recommendations from the exodus audio website, except I made the box 1/2" wider to allow for some more wiggle room for bracing. Also I used biscuit joints all around for the first time which created a nice strong box. Hopefully the sub will be up and running by the end of the week...i can't wait to hear it. It will be match with zaph audio sr-71's and eventually mated with a zaph audio center channel and rears for 5.1.

Here's a pic of a biscuit joint:

glue up.JPG

Here's a pic of my clamping method:

clamp down.JPG

Here's a pic of the hurricane nuts:

hurricane nuts.JPG

Here's a pc of the driver place in for fitment:
mock up.JPG

Here's a pic of the box with one coat of primer:
primered.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I used the dayton hpsa500 from parts express. I'll show a picture of it in a few days when it's installed. The cutout is flushmounted so it should look pretty sharp when done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, it ended up taking me longer than expected to finish this box. I covered the box with two layers of shellac to hide the seams. Than followed that with oil based primer (after reading a tip on a woodworking forum)....bad idea, after 4 days the primer still didnt fully cure. So i sanded the box back down and applied 4 coats of zissiner shellac primer and rolled on 4 coats of satin black with no issues. Then I applied the clear coat...i should have sprayed but ended up going with another bad product...water based clear...i couldnt roll it on without bubbles or blemishes. so after sanding that down i re-cleared with success using varathane and a foam roller.

Tonight i started to put the drivers in and came across another problem....of course...the passive rad basket was contacting a couple spots on each side of the dayton hpsa amp. So i had to grind some holes in the amps plastic cover to allow the basket to clear.

Overall, i'm happy with the way the box turned out. But next time i would either use bedliner or try veneering. I made the box 1/2" wider than kevins design to allow for some bracing. This gave me a final dimension of 18.5 wide x 21 t x 21 d...after running into the amp clearance problems...i would recommend doubling the back panel so the box is 21.75" deep and flush mount the amp...it should clear than.

Anyways, here's the pics:

here's the inside of the box with the driver and passive rad installed:
inside.JPG

here's the flush mounted amp:
amp.JPG

completed box without drivers:
box.JPG

completed box with drivers installed:
completed.JPG

Ive only listened to the sub for about an hour and havent had alot of time to play around with it BUT so far I'm very impressed. Call of Duty (xbox360) is incredible with this sub. Hopefully tomorrow i'll get some music testing in.

Thanks for the design Kevin

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ive only listened to the sub for about an hour and havent had alot of time to play around with it BUT so far I'm very impressed. Call of Duty (xbox360) is incredible with this sub. Hopefully tomorrow i'll get some music testing in.

Thanks for the design Kevin
Hey... you did all the hard work! Nice job... that build looks excellent.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm very happy with how this sub sounds and it blends in very well with my DIY zaph audio SR71's. I would recommend this design to anyone how wants to have a great performing sub in a smaller box.

·
Registered
177 Posts
How did the mdf handle the biscuits? I've heard some people mention the glue and swelling can cause bulges on the outside of it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the mdf seemed to handle the biscuits just fine...i used alot of glue and laminated the front and sides with 3/4" mdf...after about a month since i glued up the box i havent noticed any swelling. I plan on using biscuits for now on since i don't get any splitting from screws and i dont have to worry about my router bit hitting screws or lots of nails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts