·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my current setup is
yamaha htr-6295b
Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts
Paradigm cc-390 center

need a sub...should i buy a dsp-3200, SVS PB12 NSD or build a custom sub? i am a newbie and do not have a lot of knowledge.

Was looking at sdx10 or trio12. would i get a better sub with these builds??

·
Registered
49 Posts
my current setup is
yamaha htr-6295b
Paradigm cc-390 center

need a sub...should i buy a dsp-3200, SVS PB12 NSD or build a custom sub? i am a newbie and do not have a lot of knowledge.

hi christin, I'm not a DIY guy so I'm not going that route at all, given the state of economy "equipment wise" these days you can make good on lots o subs that are built to specs and do all the work for you!! "just try to buy from "stores or on line, where you get at least a thirty day money back if you don't like what your hearing" OH and while your doing that please do no forget your surround left & right speakers:cool:
good luck. Win

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
my current setup is
yamaha htr-6295b
Paradigm cc-390 center

You would get a better DIY sub in most cases with a custom one, but you will need a few tools to get the job done.

A jigsaw, a circular saw, and drill are the minimum tools needed.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
You would get a better DIY sub in most cases with a custom one, but you will need a few tools to get the job done.

A jigsaw, a circular saw, and drill are the minimum tools needed.
I agree, totally. For the dollars spent, you can (with a little help from your friends if you need it) build a sub (or any speaker for that matter) which will outperform a store bought sub.
SteveMA

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I see on the SVS website the model you mentioned is selling for $600 (in round numbers). If you have woodworking skills (or a friend who could help out) you can build a cabinet for under $100 (assuming MDF and wood veneer finish, less if you paint the cabinet).

From Parts Express potential speaker driver candidates are fairly numerous:
12" drivers:
Dayton RSS315HO (and HF) are ~$135-140
Peerless XLS 12 is ~$165
TC Sounds Epic is ~$180
15"
Dayton RSS390HO (and HF) are ~$160
Dayton Titanic Mklll is ~$180
TC Sounds LMS-R is $323 (pricy but if you can spend another $100 it's in the hunt)

Dayton's 500W plate amp (SPA500 is $299)
PE also has a large selection of pro amps which are possibilities also.

(BTW, I am not a Parts Express employee nor am I related to any. Just a satisfied customer. Madisound, Diycable, Acoustic Elegance are a few other potential suppliers)

I have built a small subwoofer for a home theater setup (very small room) using the Peerless XLS 10" driver/passive radiator combo and a PE plate amp. Total cost including materials for the cabinet was under $600. For it's intended use I am happy.

I have also built two "Thor" subs (see Linkwitzlabs website) to mate with the Orions I built. The Thor subwoofer I built was based on the 12" Peerless XLS driver. For music they are hard to beat.

From the above lists I am sure a very nice subwoofer could be built which would compare nicely with the SVS sub (which, according the the website was designed in collaboration with Tympany the maker of Peerless, Vifa, etc drivers). The model you mentioned could (but I would be surprised) be based on the 12" XLS driver.

Good luck finding your sub!!
Steve

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
hi christin, I'm not a DIY guy so I'm not going that route at all, given the state of economy "equipment wise" these days you can make good on lots o subs that are built to specs and do all the work for you!! "just try to buy from "stores or on line, where you get at least a thirty day money back

wynshadwm This is a Do It Yourself forum so your comments are rather useless. Where is that head slap smilie when I need it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
wynshadwm This is a Do It Yourself forum so your comments are rather useless. Where is that head slap smilie when I need it?
yes Buggers, I know its a Diy forum "but before you started to disrespecting peoples opinion you should always read the OP question properly!!

hint the Paradigm DSP-3200 & SVS-PB12 aren't DIY subs?? I responded to the thread (first) and I may have shown some (biased) towards DIY, however my answer was based on should Christin, built or buy a finished product what is wrong with that??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.