Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many of you have gone to the guy selling off all the NHT stuff. But he has some decent looking 10" woofers for $20 each, they model decently but they're only $20 and they've got 13mm of excursion and one has a FS of 21 and another a FS of 16.

The address is here http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/

Open the excel spread sheet to see the parameters on the drivers. I was thinking about buying 2 of the 10s. I figure I'll either buy them and 2 of the cheap plate amps and make some subs for around the house. Or if nothing else put 1 or 2 of them in a small sealed box and put them in the back of my car. The car seems more likely, tho a pair of those 10s might get me by at home. In any event there are 2 are 3 to choose from. I was wondering which one I should get, if any.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I got it to open on another computer. If for home use, is it for music or HT? I noticed both subs have a Re of 9.58 and 9.53. I'll guess they're 10 ohm subs. Contact the seller and ask to make sure.

The cheap plate amps appear to have a 3rd order high pass filter at 30 hz, according to the response graph.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Those are surplus NHT drivers and they are quality and also dirt cheap. Many people have been using up to 12 of these quite successfully in HT builds over at AVS. I'd say go for it.

Jack is a good dude to deal with from what I've seen reported as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am wanting to build a cheap sub to use for music in my computer room. Would the plate amp he has listed work for this? Not sure on what driver but was looking at the Dayton SD 215 or maybe one of the Tang 5 1/4" drivers. I don't need anything special, trying to keep it on the cheap end. I built the madisound recession buster kit and need something to complement them. I thought about buying some drivers from the same place that has this amp but they have an $80 minimum. Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are the 2 different 10" Foster subs on his website. The one with the Fs of 21 is $20 and the one with the Fs of 16 is $30 each. They seem to model rather well and do not require much power to reach their Xmax. Both of these are rated at 12 ohms. They work very well in multiples such as a group of 3 in parallel for an amp load of 4 ohm.

The plate amps do have a configurable high pass and a configurable boost. These can be changed by replacing resistors.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was seriously entertaining the notion of just buying a bunch of those 10s and making some sort of crazy sub array like some people have but then I calculated shipping and it once again pushes a pot load of these things out of my price range. 8 subs at $20 each is $160, but then shipping is about another $110 and while that's still a fair deal its just not in my budget right now so I was going to give up alltogether.

However since they are such a good deal if they're still in stock tomorrow I'm going to order 4 and see if I can use them in a WMTMW design eventually or TMWW design... If not I'll just make a pair of dual 10" bass bins and use them or give them to some person in need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts