Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 of the SI HT 18, doing 4 single boxes and now the box vol is around 6 cuft, I can go bigger in vol if needed, box designer is saying at 6 cu ft 20hz tune is best...I was wanting a lil lower tune ( like 16 HZ) , he says its not safe? I see plenty of guys doing tunes this low , what should I do

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Simulate the tune you want. 6cuft and 16hz can be done but it will not be at its best response shape. If you want a lower than 22hz tune than you need to double the size of the cabinet. Like 12cuft @16hz.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks , is it that much difference from 20 to 16 hz, that is getting big on the box, would you say its worth it to do?... or not much noticeable differnce

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
If you went from 6cuft 22hz tune to a 12cuft 16/17hz tune it would make a HUGE difference.:D:hide::hsd:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got someone to work up a design for me, so tell me what you think( and do you see anything wrong before I start on these)

size external 22" w X 48" t X 24.5 d
slot port 2.5 " tall ( 20.5 wide ) and total length is 41.875
0.75 MDF... tune should be near 16HZ

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Sorry, I seem to have lost this thread with my reply. DId you ever get this simulated yet?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not, was hoping someone with more knowledge could check it for me ( I have no way of doing it my self)

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Is this a Marty cabinet?

With your dimensions it is probably fine. 12.5cuft 16/17hz looks great. BUT I dont know how much volume the port takes up yet. But guessing that it takes up a bit it looks right. Will look in a minute.

12.5cuft net with a 16hz port would be about 31" long. BUT maybe your suggested design has the driver displacement taken out, along with port displacement.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess its really close to the marty cab, just bigger, same sort of slot port , going to start on them next weekend

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

:D

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
No problem . Keep us posted on your updates.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorta , 3 of the 4 are built but not finished, will finish soon and have some pics to add to this as well, I have hooked 2 of them up to test, just 1 was more than my (2) 12 subs that they are replacing , 2 was even better, so I cant wait to get all 4 going, and then got some REW to fine tune

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Looking for some pics of these... 4 of these things will be pretty insane. How's the 4th cabinet and the finishing going? If you're actually holding off on setting them all up until they're all finished then I admire your dedication. On the other hand, if you've slammed 'em all together and are hiding away somewhere in unfinished bass heaven without an update and pics for us... then shame on you! lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here is some pics

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts