Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's been a while since we posted up anything about the intro line of HT subwoofers but we have recently completed the first prototypes. A quick refresher - these woofers are going to be very affordable subwoofers priced at under $200 tailored to the HT market (low F3's, ported freiendly, etc). I will publish more definite prices by the end of the week. These woofers will feature the following:

2.5" voice coil
20mm Xmax
Aluminum magnet ID shorting ring
Spiral cut CZA VC former with a black Nomex wrap
8" Nomex spider
Sewn-on leads
Large speaker terminals (will accept 4 AWG)
Cast aluminum basket
Proven and effective VC cooling method (air goes in below the spider, around the coil, and out the pole vent)
Paper cone finished smooth on the front side
Tall stitched-on rubber surround
Blank black dust cap (we listened to you guys during the poll we started a few months back!)
600 watts RMS power handling

These are just prototypes and we will be changing the suspension on them to better suit the HT style enclosure alignments better. The 15" prototype will work very well as it sits in 8 ft^3 tuned to 20 Hz with an F3 of of 17 Hz. We are modifying the suspensions to lower the Qt, raise Vas, etc, to where they will be more optimized for a tad smaller enclosures while keeping the low tuning and solid LFE.

Here are the pictures of the two woofers. The 18" is pictured first and the 15" pictured second:

Here are the T/S's on the 15" D2 Ohm prototype not fully broken in. These are the initial specs and they will change once we revise the suspension in a few weeks:

Re: 4.29 Ohms
Fs: 25.9 Hz
Qes: .63
Qms: 5.2
Qts: 0.56
Le: 3.0 mH
Sd: 80444.8 mm^2
Vas: 108.2 l
BL: 18.8
Mms: 320.6 g
Cms: 117.7
Sensitivity: 86.5 dB 1W/1M

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The 15 looks pretty good. LOVING the cast aluminum frame, and the dust cap! Haha! But with the highish qes on the 15 and what appears to be the same motor on the 18, won't qts be a bit high?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 15 looks pretty good. LOVING the cast aluminum frame, and the dust cap! Haha! But with the highish qes on the 15 and what appears to be the same motor on the 18, won't qts be a bit high?
The Qts is higher on the 18" because both models share the same motor. That's why I posted above that we are revising the suspension on this model. The new, softer, suspension will suit both sizes better for home use. Keep in mind these are only prototypes, not production drivers. :) I posted this data up for you guys to see that we are indeed following up with what we said about coming out with these woofers.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I look forward to your progress. I would love to have four more 18's to add to my subwoofer system. But that being said I would also like to try these 15's. I think 8 of them would be nice in two smallish opposed towers.

But reality would be two 18's or four 15's for me. SO things are looking promising. Any idea what type of time frame we are talking about for stock?

The 15 in 8 cubes and 20 tune looks like it will take 1000watts with a Hpass around 20hz. Fun fun. The only thing I am hoping for is specs to work better in smaller cabinets. SO far the only thing that is near this competition is the Dayton RF. But it would take four HO's to compete against two of these.

·
Registered
683 Posts
These are going to be under $200?!? That will be very impressive if the production units look anything like these protos.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Those look great, I'm happy to see you settled on the stiching. Just the right blend of subtle and unique for HT appearance.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,321 Posts
The only thing I am hoping for is specs to work better in smaller cabinets.
I'm with you on that; 8ft^3 is a seriously large cabinet. For $200 they look like amazing drivers though.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm with you on that; 8ft^3 is a seriously large cabinet. For $200 they look like amazing drivers though.
We're talking about 18" woofers here.... 8 cu ft for a vented sub is par for the course. If you want smaller, don't use a vent (20mm is pretty useful excursion for sealed). You can't get a 20hz tune without the internal air volume to meaningfully excite the port at the frequency!!

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,321 Posts
We're talking about 18" woofers here.... 8 cu ft for a vented sub is par for the course. If you want smaller, don't use a vent (20mm is pretty useful excursion for sealed). You can't get a 20hz tune without the internal air volume to meaningfully excite the port at the frequency!!
I still think it's on the large side, but I understand your point. I'm just hoping us acoustic suspension guys will be served by this driver too. Those spec's, at that price, make for a very enticing package.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 8 ft^3 enclosure was for the 15". We have two different surrounds coming in that have different chemical compositions which make them more compliant than the surrounds used on these prototypes. We also have two different compliance's of spiders coming in as well - both much softer than the spiders (single spider per woofer) listed here.

AKA: We are continuing to tailor these drivers to suit you guys the best way possible so that when production starts they will be very pleasing to you guys.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still think it's on the large side, but I understand your point. I'm just hoping us acoustic suspension guys will be served by this driver too. Those spec's, at that price, make for a very enticing package.
As promised we got a better hold on the pricing that is going to be offered. We will be able to offer the 15" at $170 and the 18" at $190. Both prices are plus shipping. We will also do discounts on multiples of four or more.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How come I'm noticing two different style baskets on the prototype drivers ?
Because the twelve spoke 18" frame is owned by a private company and the six spoke 18" frame is open tooled and allows just as much clearance in all areas as the twelve spoke does.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking very promising. I've been wanting to build a pair of sealed 15s or 18s. Would love to give these a shot. I got tired of waiting for the SDX15IIs.

When are these going to be available??

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
That 12 spoke 15 is awesome looking. Hurry up already.........lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts