Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several threads, decided on going with SI 18's sub's, just ordered them so I guess I have some time left for making final decisions.
1. Mostly 4^3ft sealed enclosure.
2. Considering Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP for the amp.
3. Should I go with Plywood or MDF

So please advice if I'm in proper direction or need any corrections. Also if anyone could suggest the cutting plans and measurements to get net 4^3ft box with braces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would suggest "Swiss cheese" bracing (dividers with hole saw holes) and Baltic birch ply or 1" MDF with the usual "C" braces in the box.

Mmmmmm........18's.:T

·
Registered
63 Posts
i built two of these earlier this year. 18"d2s in boxes around 4.5cu. i used mdf with pine bracing. make sure you dry fit and plan your bracing or you willspend a lot of time fixing it once it is glued.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure, will check it out. Looks similar to box build design help provided at http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Since its my first build, just thinking to go with 4cuft design's at PE's and DIYsoundgroup sites. I'm planning to build the box in line with those, What is your opinion on the bracing on those flat packs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well , the subs came in and they're huge, I never held that huge woofer. I'm going to get started cutting the mdf today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sure the options would be different between two dsp's, but you said said minidsp has better options. I'm wondering if you could expand on that comment. The reason I ask, I looked at the minidsp but didn't really see anything that would justify a second piece of hardware. The iNuke was able to do everything I wanted (with a little rigging for freq <20)... The two had the same sampling rate, etc.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
The High Pass will go down to 10Hz so no rigging required.

From what I see there are 6 bands of PEQ on the iNuke. Same on the MiniDSP input with 6 more on the output side and if you want you could loop back to the second channel and get 12 more. Way overkill, I know, but it's there. If you add another sub in the future you have a free channel to use which will save you the added expense of the DSP version of the amp.

The INuke AFAIK does not give you biquad capability. I used the biquads on my SEALED sub to implement a Linkwitz Transform to reach a little deeper with the box I had. YMMV.

As far as the extra equipment is involved, the unit is almost shirt pocket small and could be easily hidden.

If those aren't issues for you you'd save ~$50.00 with the iNuke unless you went to two subs. Then you'd save slightly with the raw amps and the MiniDSP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's really helpful, I really appreciate the details. I'm planning on 4 subs in the near future and definitely want the flexibility. I really wasn't aware of what was available. I'm really interested in this comment, 'implement a Linkwitz Transform to reach a little deeper with the box I had.' As a fan of digging deep, and maximizing the equipment, how did it work out for you? I'm not familiar with this and can research it on my own. But definitely finding myself more and more interested in the product.

The High Pass will go down to 10Hz so no rigging required. From what I see there are 6 bands of PEQ on the iNuke. Same on the MiniDSP input with 6 more on the output side and if you want you could loop back to the second channel and get 12 more. Way overkill, I know, but it's there. If you add another sub in the future you have a free channel to use which will save you the added expense of the DSP version of the amp. The INuke AFAIK does not give you biquad capability. I used the biquads on my SEALED sub to implement a Linkwitz Transform to reach a little deeper with the box I had. YMMV. As far as the extra equipment is involved, the unit is almost shirt pocket small and could be easily hidden. If those aren't issues for you you'd save ~$50.00 with the iNuke unless you went to two subs. Then you'd save slightly with the raw amps and the MiniDSP.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Definite advantages with MiniDSP. One unit will work for up to four subs. If they're identical the input side of the MiniDSP can still be used for a Linkwitz Transform for all four.

A Linkwitz Transform is basically a low shelf filter that matches the Fb and Q of the box to help reinforce the low end. Usually you will trade off some upper SPL.

Here's the thread for my first try. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/sealed-subwoofer-build-projects/73006-trying-squeeze-little-more-out-dayton-titaniciii-kit-sub-linkwitz.html

and one I have planed for after I install my new surrounds and rears. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/sealed-subwoofer-build-projects/96729-new-linkwitz-transform-project.html

It's best to design the box with the Linkwitz in mind for optimization purposes and you need to be able to run Excel speadsheets to generate the coefficients that need to be inserted into the MiniDSP.

http://www.minidsp.com/applications/advanced-tools/linkwitz-transform

1 - 20 of 37 Posts