Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share with everyone my mic setup as it seems pretty simple and inexpensive. I'm using the the "lightsnake" usb cable (mic cable on one end, usb on the other with built in converter) and a behringer PS400 Ultra-Compact Phantom Power Supply for phantom power. the lightsnake is about $40 and the power supply about $20 so for $60 you are pretty much set.

thought it might help others in there search for a compact and inexpensive solution.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Re: Simplified Mic setup reccomendation

Is the gain in the A to D converter enough to properly accept an electret condensor mic such as an ECM8000 from behringer?

I don't know if it's much of a savings over a XENYX 802 preamp mixer with built in phantom power. at $59.99

Isn't there a delay in the A to D converter? I wonder how REW would deal with that.

You would presumably have to use SPDIF out to avoid the response weakness in the analog line-out that you wouldn't be able to calibrate...

Anyway, did you get it to work with REW ?...

brucek

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Simplified Mic setup reccomendation

yes it seems to be working well. i'm using it with the ecm8000 and it seems fine.

might not be for everyone, but i wanted somthing simple to plug into the front of my computer without taking it out of the cabinet. just another option i guess so i figured i'd mention it

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since we want to stay in analog, i wonder if this would work - use the PS400 Ultra-Compact Phantom Power Supply for $20 and an xlr to rca cable for about $6. you would loose gain control, but would allow for a very inexpensive and simple setup?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The ECM8000 requires gain to bring it to line level voltage for the line in of the soundcard. The phantom power supply only powers the mic electronics and provides no gain. Nope, sorry, it won't work. With the thousands that people spend on their equipment, I can't see why a $59 preamp for a microphone would be a problem...

brucek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts