Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm somewhat new to this. i've been trying to figure out an adequate box volume and port sized for a box I'm trying to build my brother for Christmas. I'm using the unibox spreadsheet and I don't understand the abbreviations. Does anyone know what the Vb1/2 Fb2 and Q mean. I'm assuming they are the optimal volumes, but I don't know. If anyone knows of a link to someone who has built a box like this I would greatly appreciate the information. The sub is a Power Acoustik Fubar, and the wood is .75" MDF. i basically just want really low tight bass, oh and it's for a car, so the volume needs to stay low since it's in a trunk. I've been trying to find something like this in the forums, but everything is really big, or multiple woofers. Thanks and Happy Holidays

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I have so far, I think. the optimal port size is 6"x9.42" and the optimal volume of the box would be 1.86cu.ft. Does this sound correct? I am by far no expert, but the power acoustik site says the volume sould be 3.4 cu.ft., and that includes the woofer and ports (2 ports, i want 1). thanks again.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hi Leo and welcome to the Shack!

Can you describe the term "tight"?

Also... post the TS Parameter of the driver and we'll see what WinISD says about it. We are not quite as up to par on Unibox as we are WinISD. :T

FTR... I just finished my car with a pair of 12's in the back. Did ported to start with... sounded too "loose" (heehee) and decided to change it to sealed. IMO... sealed has much better sound quality. Ported would be geared more for SPL, although my sealed is actually louder than the ported I designed. I cannot necessarily say this for a home sub, but for a car with subs in a trunk, I have always had better luck with sealed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Due to the effects of cabin gain sealed subs often end up being very flat in cars even with box F3's of up arround 40Hz but ported is much louder and in your face so to speak

By the sounds of your needs and without T/S specs i would recomend about 100L sealed with the sub facing back or forwards, that is 3.5cf, sorry about the late reply and keep us informed on the build

1 - 4 of 4 Posts