Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sanding day.
sub 55.jpg
sub 54.jpg
sub 56.jpg
sub 58.jpg

Time to roundover the side edges. I started with a 3/4" bit then moved on to the 1" bit. It went surprising smoothly.

sub 59.jpg
sub 60.jpg
sub 61.jpg

Thats it for today, if I get a chance tomorrow I'll get some primer on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thats an interesting idea, too bad I used cheap home depot plywood, the stuff is really junk. Next time I'll source out some good stuff and pay the extra money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks audiocraver I appreciate that. As I start the finish, as it were, I realize that there have been some lapses in the attention to detail though. I knew that having the plywood showing with butt joints instead of designing with rabbet joints and having only mdf on the outside was going to create finish problems. Mdf and plywood just sand at different rates even using a hard sanding block. That and all of the screw holes. I knew this going in and opted for strength over a perfect finish beings that the sub will be behind the mains stuck in a relatively dark corner. The finish doesnt have to be perfect. Ill leave that for when I build some new mains and center.

Heres a shot of the back before I started with the primer.

sub 62.jpg

After the first coat of primer.

sub 63.jpg

I decided to use a good spackle to fill the smallest holes that the wood filler left.

sub 64.jpg

This is a better shot of it.

sub 65.jpg

After sanding and another coat of primer.

sub 66.jpg

After 5 coats of primer.

sub 67.jpg

Ill probably give it a few more coats because you can still see the color difference between the plywood and the mdf.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Looks great. Primer is always key in all my finishes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I used Kilz 2 latex. I just used a foam brush as I didnt want to go to the trouble of making a separate spray tent in my garage, or move it outside. I didnt have a problem with brush strokes that even a foam brush leaves as it will blend in with the paint method I plan on using, and as I said before, the sub will hide in the corner anyway. I put it on vertically in long even strokes from top to bottom except for the top, there I went from front to back.
I painted the back today just to see how it will look and I think it will turn out OK. I'll post pics when I get it further along.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
very nice work...would this be considered overkill?
Thanks
Overkill - isn't that one of the required characteristics of being an A/E enthusiast? "Overkill is in the eyes of the beholder?" "Overkill is the mother of invention?" "One person's overkill is another person's just good enough?" Just funning with you. It is SO easy to get carried away on a project like that. I still say the basic woodworking quality is to be greatly admired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Overkill? Yeah probably. I agree with audiocRaver, its all relative. I was looking around the webs the other day at speakers to get ideas for new mains I plan on building. I came across these: http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/magico_q5_loudspeaker/index.html They are a modest sized floorstanding speaker that weigh 387 lbs each and cost about 60t thousand a pair. I realize that the importance of a dead cabinet is probably more important in a full range speaker, but even in a sub it just makes sense to me to make it resonance free as possible. Plus I just like making things really solid.:D Also, I own a good hand truck.:T
 

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
Joined
·
3,321 Posts
Overkill? Yeah probably. I agree with audiocRaver, its all relative. I was looking around the webs the other day at speakers to get ideas for new mains I plan on building. I came across these: http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/magico_q5_loudspeaker/index.html They are a modest sized floorstanding speaker that weigh 387 lbs each and cost about 60t thousand a pair. I realize that the importance of a dead cabinet is probably more important in a full range speaker, but even in a sub it just makes sense to me to make it resonance free as possible. Plus I just like making things really solid.:D Also, I own a good hand truck.:T
At 60 grand a pair you'll need more then a hand truck; you'll need a Brinks truck too. :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Paint. I had a color in mind when I started this project, a dark gray-brown with a subtle metallic champagne quality.

DSC01055.jpg

It came out a little darker than the photo shows.

DSC01061.jpg

Big rubber feet.

DSC01060.jpg

Again its actually darker than the photo shows.

DSC01064.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get a top coat on, then get the binding posts on and wiring done. After that I'll stuff it with poly fill and move it to my living room. Then pop the driver in and test it out. Beers will probably then be hoisted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I use a wide soft artists brush. I use a water spray bottle to mist the paint while applying to control consistency. I apply in thin layers a section at a time and let that layer dry thoroughly before adding another layer. I brushstroke in the same up and down direction for each side. The result is a subtle faux wood grain effect that the pic doesnt show very well.
 
41 - 60 of 73 Posts
Top