Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi need some advice about my plans to improve my room, I'm currently redecorating and with the limitations of my room I'm planning on puting one floor to ceiling bass trap 35cm by 35cm on the left front corner of the room so that visually it is symmetrical with the chimney stack that sicks out at the other corner, will this be of any benefit or do they have to be installed in pairs ?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
More surface area is generally better. The issue here is that you're treating the front of the room asymmetrically. Generally you want everything in front of your seating as symmetric left to right as possible.

Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's not ideal but my issue with sound is mainly the sub bass, would this be better than nothing as is the only option except what I'm planning for the ceiling that is SWMBO friendly

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
It will help with the boominess and bass overhang in the room certainly.

Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, what I'm planning for the ceiling is a droped floating section hanging about two inches down with varying thickness squares of dense foam upto 12cm thick on the face to make an artistic look, this will be around 2.5m by 2.8m with around 50cm gap round the perimeter for the led lights mounted on the floating panel to shine down

Will that act as a bass trap too?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Will the floating section be 2 feet and 12cm inside fill or 2 INCHES and 2 MM fill? Kind of tough to get 12cm inside 2 inches... ;)

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Got it - misunderstood before. Should work OK though fiberglass/mineral wool will work much better than foam.

Bryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I knew it would but I can't make that look contemporary like I can sculptured foam unfortunately, do you know if it would be best to make the floating ceiling part out of cloth stretched over a frame and the foam underneath or using a thin hardboard as aposed to the cloth?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
If you use like a 1/4 inch hardwood plywood, you could make it a membrane trap with say, 2 inch or 1 inch OCB inside with the air gap in between (or combinations of both). You could cover the playwood with a tectured/pattern wallpaper to make it any look you want. Just a thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts