Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Sorry, but with a nice long room like that, I'd do everything possible to turn it.

The treatment scheme sounds pretty good. Just a couple thoughts.

42" is borderline high enough. Seated ear position is usually around that. If tweeter level is that or higher, you're getting decay time help but completely missing reflections.

Bond an FSK face to the rear wall treatment. We want that to do primarily vocal through bass control but leave the surround field lively. You have plenty of other HF absorbtion in the room. Keep things balanced across the spectrum.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
LOL - sorry.

What I meant is that usually when you sit, your ears are about 40-42" off the floor. If your tweeters of your mains are higher than ear position, the reflection will hit the wall above the absorbtion and be missed if the absorbtion only goes to 42" high.

FRK/FSK is Foil Reinforced Kraft Paper. It is a rolled material that is glued to the absorbtion to allow it to reflect high frequencies while enhancing low frequency absorbtion. That allows the surround field to stay nice and lively yet still get good bass absorbtion in the longest dimension of the room which is usually the length.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Good deal. The all cloth walls make life easier. Reflections are somewhat more of an area thing rather than a point but the point is easy to ID as the center of the area. If you actually map where the points are and get 3-4" higher, you should be fine. 48" and you should be good to go no matter what. This is all based on only 1 row of seating as the reflections for a raised 2nd row would be higher on the walls.

I can get you just the FSK if you need it.

Bryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts