Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when picking a driver, how much the size of a voice coil matters? If all other specs are the same, would a speaker with a 4" coil perform better than one with a 2"? what about a 4" vs a dual 2"?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Voice coil size is related to power handling. The bigger the coil the higher the power rating.
And sometimes the higher the inductance.

are coils measured lengthwise? or diameter?
Posted via Mobile Device
When we mention VC size, we are stating the diameter. Coil winding length is the length of the coil. In the picture below, that is a 3" diameter voice coil with a 60mm winding length. It uses 4 layers of aluminum wire.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Higher frequency polars can be affected as well since the shape of the diaphragm is usually different for 4" VC's than it is for 2" VC's...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Higher frequency polars can be affected as well since the shape of the diaphragm is usually different for 4" VC's than it is for 2" VC's...
I'm not sure I follow. So the higher frequency would be less accurate?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Polar response is a measure of the direction the sound travels...not sure if I would call it less accurate or not...I'm of the belief that you want to have a controlled polar response. Ever notice how walking behind your speakers and there are less high frequencies? That's because the highs tend to beam and the lows tend to be omni-directional. It's a function of diaphragm size relative to wavelength (lower frequencies have longer wavelengths). Each driver in the speaker is covering a certain frequency range so there is always some change in the polar response (since it'll look smaller to low frequencies than it will to high frequencies).

Anyways, larger voice coils will beam sooner than smaller voice coils...I think it's mostly because the diaphragm of the larger coil will tend to have a steeper angle to it - and the dustcap tends to be larger too.

Btw, the effects usually don't come into play until you're above most subwoofer frequencies. With 18" drivers you just start seeing the beginning of those effects come close to the passband.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts