Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves to photograph the sky and interesting or pretty clouds.

The conditions often change so rapidly that she is often frustrated in capturing those special moments.

There are lots more like this.

Camera is a few years old now: A Sony DSC71 on auto settings.

Images resized to "Medium" in Windows "My Pictures" straight from 1/2 Meg originals.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Very nice pics indeed.

The conditions often change so rapidly that she is often frustrated in capturing those special moments.
What area are these taken?

Can't the sky be amazing?

I can never really capture the great things that the clouds, sun, and moon do with my camera.
Your wife has done just that. :clap:

I love the snow one. You can see the foot prints leading up to the point of view.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice pics indeed.

What area are these taken?
Sorry, I failed to answer your question.
The images were all captured in central Denmark.

It has been a struggle at times using this older digital camera because of the tiny viewing screen. My wife uses the eye level viewfinder while I still prefer the little screen for framing shots. This means that many of my images are not truly "upright". Hers usually are. :)

That said the camera has captured the transits of Venus and Mercury, Mars near approach and lots of lunar landscapes plus a vast number of other more worldly images. The file count is very close to the 10,000 mark spread over 220 folders adding up to over 4GB according to "My pictures". I suppose I ought to back them up onto DVD more often in case the hard drive goes bad.

My attempts to persuade my wife that we need a newer camera with a nice big screen have so far fallen on deaf ears. ;)

Here are two of her slightly more odd sky images.

WW3?

Where did it go?

I hope these are going to encourage others to post some images of their own. :paddle:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the WW3! streaks photo's of?..
Aircraft contrails. A trick of the viewpoint or parallax provided an interesting composition which looked rather like missiles criss-crossing the sky.

We were out in the car and my wife insisted we stop so she could capture the moment. That happens quite a lot. :)

A couple more of her contrail pictures.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The darker trails have taken on the colours of sunset if that was when they were photographed.

The magic of digital photography suggests that "WW3" was taken at 5.35pm in November 2005 at 55N. That is close to dusk at that time of year this far north. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a tiny little version of one of those kites about 4 feet wide. Weighs about as much as a handkerchief. :)

I had one hop, skip and and jump on a borrowed kite at an early hang glider meeting when they were all still using Regallos. They were almost too heavy to lift! Big alloy poles with reinforcing GRP wrap at stress points. I quickly realised I could get badly hurt jumping off such a steep hill. Times and techniques have really moved on. Now they are using these lightweight parafoils for kite surfing and beach racing. Great fun to watch!

Not enough hills for your sport over here but is was very popular in the UK.

Some great photos there, John.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was sound engineer on a film shoot called "Hang Dogs". It is about hang gliders in the seventies and eighties. We used original kites and some of these things look like they should never leave the ground.

I learned a lot about hang gliding these days and how much it has changes and evolved.

I still wouldn't want to be more than 5' off the ground on one though :gah:

Great pics BTW!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Very nice!

What sort of tools/techniques are used to protect the camera from the bright sun when shooting the sun at dawn and day?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts