·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #161

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
ok a couple diagrams of what I am thinking here, first one is 2 rows of 4, off center. The second is 2 rows of 4, centered on the 2nd seat moving the 4th seat more toward the wall. Opinions?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
I think I like this option best, what do you think. This give mes 3 centered front row, and 5 centerd on the back row, and I believe if I measured right 20 1/2" walk way on either side of the 2nd row.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I think I like this option best, what do you think. This give mes 3 centered front row, and 5 centerd on the back row, and I believe if I measured right 20 1/2" walk way on either side of the 2nd row.
Is there any way you can get two more seats to make two rows of five??? ... That will be excellent :yes:

What about using five in the front and three in the back??? ... if I recall correctly you have a post on the left side; if you do as your diagram that post will be an obstruction between rows... and maybe doing the five in the front the seat will be against that post :yes:

Doing the three in the back, you'll have the space to add more chairs (in case of extra guests) :dontknow: ... you can do the same in the front, but HT will look much better with the extra seats hidden in the back row :bigsmile:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Is there any way you can get two more seats to make two rows of five??? ... That will be excellent :yes:
I think my wife would not be happy to spend more money ;-) I will however have two extra seat bottoms as the sent me the wrong ones by mistake I would have to get two more standards and two more backs :paddle:
What about using five in the front and three in the back??? ... if I recall correctly you have a post on the left side; if you do as your diagram that post will be an obstruction between rows... and maybe doing the five in the front the seat will be against that post :yes:
I will mesure that and see, that might be good :praying:
Doing the three in the back, you'll have the space to add more chairs (in case of extra guests) :dontknow: ... you can do the same in the front, but HT will look much better with the extra seats hidden in the back row :bigsmile:
I will do some measuring and let you know, Thanks! The pol is about 17" out, so that may put that seat up against the pole :T

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I think my wife would not be happy to spend more money ;-) I will however have two extra seat bottoms as the sent me the wrong ones by mistake I would have to get two more standards and two more backs :paddle: ...
Did you make the complaint??? ... maybe they can give you a good deal for that mistake :yes:

... The pol is about 17" out, so that may put that seat up against the pole :T
Let's cross fingers ... I remember you mentioned 20 1/2" before, so this will be close :bigsmile: (and what I like is that you wont have that pole in the middle of the rows :yes:); but you'll be the judge of what looks better :T

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I have about 3 inches to spare next to the pol so 5 in the first row it is, three in the second, I can always add two more ;-)

Ya they are sending me 2 extra seats and I get the keep these, but I would need two more arms and two more backs ;-) I got a good deal as it was at $99 each shipped ;-)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
The front row is in, photos tomorrow. 5 seats. Then 3 in the second row. I will probably go ahead and order 2 more for a complete row of 5 there. That will make 10 seats ;-) Seriously doubt that I would ever have that many over at one time, but it offers a place where people can spread out if they want ;-)

Tomorrow (today I suppose) I will go get my lumber to make the riser. I am going with a 2x8 with a 1x2 (3/4") furring strip around the top and with the 2 layers of OSB. I measure right at 9 3/4 although the tape measure says 10" That clears the top of a 6'5" head!

Well off to bed now!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
Here are the photos from last nights seat install! As you can see 5 of them fit very nicely in the front row, now I am trying to figure out a way to sneak 2 more in the house :shh:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
I did a mock up of the rear seat riser and based on this it looks like a 2x8 (7 1/2") with a 1x2 (3/4") with 2 layers of OSB is going to make it calculated 9 3/4" but the tape measure says 10" so who am I to argue with the tape measure :dontknow: Here a a couple shots from the seats, the first one is from the front row center, the second is from the 2nd row center as you can see I do do see the top of the front row. I also half way measured the top of my head in the front row, and placed the tape measure in its locked position so I could see where the top of my head (5'7") would be and I can easaly see over that with a couple of inches to spare so I think this height will be good, and I don't see the projector or the ceiling from that position either. I kinda like sitting the back seat :daydream:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... I kinda like sitting the back seat :daydream:
You'll have a better view :bigsmile:

My sweet spot is in the middle of second row ... but for sound, the best seat is in the middle of front row :wits-end:

What I did is to save a setting on my AVR for each seat ... they both sound good, but the flattest response is in the front seat; but I'm happy in my sweet spot ... :yes:

By the way, dont forget to use roofing paper (black paper) to avoid the moisture ... specially because your HT is in a basement, Right??? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
By the way, dont forget to use roofing paper (black paper) to avoid the moisture ... specially because your HT is in a basement, Right??? :scratchhead:
You are correct, but I planned on using pressure treated lumber for the 2x8's and also going to place it on top of the carpet. Its a very thin felt (1/8") unbacked. I thought about cutting it out, but I planned for a 3/4" lip all the way around the "island" riser (Not sure why :huh:) I have no way of getting power to the riser so no lights :doh: and I saw no reason to build the riser all the way back to the wall.

The riser will be 4'x9'6" enough to accommodate a row of 5 seats. I will use 3 to begin with mounted in the center, and if I can negotiate 2 more seats I will add them as well. :innocent:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I know is your money ... but I'm helping you to save some :bigsmile:

... but I planned on using pressure treated lumber for the 2x8's ...
Isn't the treated lumber more expensive??? ... you can use regular lumber (specially because it won't be in contact with the concrete subfloor) ... or maybe it will be cheap to use pieces of ruber or something if you want to lift it a little (I remember that I read that somebody used pieces of a car water hose) :scratch:

... I have no way of getting power to the riser so no lights :doh: and I saw no reason to build the riser all the way back to the wall...
Why??? ... can you extend one of the outlets??? ... or run an extension there???

You have to find a way to get electricity there ... I see in the future a popcorn machine at the back of the room :bigsmile:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
That is looking good.
Thank you!

Work progressed Friday and part on Saturday for the riser. I have photos of the progress posted:

http://www.itsallbutstraw.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=7239

I made a small mistake but I caught it before I closed up the top! I originally placed the insulation paper/lip over the top of the boards where I was going to secure the plywood. BAD idea I wanted to glue everything and the glue would have just stuck the paper to the bottom of the plywood :no:

That was fun pulling out about 100 staples out , it was even worse up by the front seats as I had already anchored the riser down the the floor! :thud:

I have the second layer down I had to have Home Depot cut my plywood down into 2x8 sheets to get it home, so I have a few more seams than I wanted, but they are all glued and screwed so they should be ok. Two layers one going horizontal the other going vertical, all glues down with liquid nails and screed every 6 " or so. This will make the surface a good point to mount the chairs.

I am going to use the router to round the corners off the edges and then try to get the carper down on it and then I can mount the seats. More photos later tonight!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
The riser is done and I have the standards and backs installed for the back row (3). I should recieve the other 2 seats today so I can complete them. I wrapped the riser in a piece of carpet I had left over from the floor. I just stapled it to the bottom edge and used carpet tape on the top.

Riser Photos

I will eventually put some sort of molding or maybe even use my left over baseboard to cover that and it will look a little better.

I have already tripped over it, so something will have to be done to make it more visible :duh:

Also I fount a nice looking reprint of the original Star Wars movie, that was framed for $40 at Block Buster. They had a nice selection of posters just not all the ones I wanted :sad2: These are painted or somehow covered with something that is no reflective and textured I think the look really nice for the price that is.

Next is the baseboards and then I will be done for a while. Watches "The Bank Job" last night, almost fell asleep through the first half of it thought, It got a little better twords the end.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Nice!!! :T

After looking at the pictures, I think you have a couple of options for some lights :yes:

1. Use raceways and an extension to the riser ...that way you can install a rope light :yes:

2. Same as 1, but you can connect the extension from the AV rack (through the wall) and cover the cable with a cable organizer.

3. Is that a night lamp on the outlet??? ... you can use a couple to light the path to the riser and seats (I have a couple of those in my HT, and is enough to see the way) :bigsmile:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
3. Is that a night lamp on the outlet??? ... you can use a couple to light the path to the riser and seats (I have a couple of those in my HT, and is enough to see the way) :bigsmile:
Why yes, yes they are I have two of these night lights.
(Just realized they say, Theater lighting!)

Thinking of buying two more for the other side and I am done ;-)

I may paint them the same color as the wall and you would never know they were "plugged-in"

161 - 180 of 346 Posts