Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use REW both on my desktop, where I conduct most of my analysis, and my laptop, where I do all the measuring. To facilitate synchronizing files between the two systems, I want to store the REW MDAT files on my network attached storage (SAN). This should be a reasonable request.

However, REW seems to have an issue with opening files stored in a network folder. For example, opening a typical MDAT file from the local drive takes 5 seconds, while opening the same file from the network drive takes 59 seconds! And once the file has been opened from the network drive, REW "remembers" the last accessed network folder, so the next time I click on "Open", it takes 30 seconds for the file selection box to open!

Clearly, this behavior makes storing REW files in a network folder cumbersome, if not completely unworkable. John, if you happen to read this report, is there a reason for this behavior? Can it be fixed?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, John. I am running Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit on both the laptop and the desktop. I use the network folders to load and save files from several other apps, and am not seeing the slowness. Of course, those apps may not use the same Java interface as REW.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I don't see delays of anything like that order on my win 10 machine, local folders open instantly and network shares take a few seconds. Access time for files on the network drive will play a part, but I suspect the main problem may be the file preview component. I've moved preview generation into a separate thread in 5.15 beta 1, try that and see if it is any better. It's in the installers directory.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see delays of anything like that order on my win 10 machine, local folders open instantly and network shares take a few seconds. Access time for files on the network drive will play a part, but I suspect the main problem may be the file preview component. I've moved preview generation into a separate thread in 5.15 beta 1, try that and see if it is any better. It's in the installers directory.
The behavior has improved with Ver 5.15 beta 1, but is still showing a peculiarity. I am opening a MDAT which has 22 measurements. The file opens almost instantly now (a big improvement), but as it loads the 22 measurements, it does so in "slow motion", rather than quickly, as it does from a local drive. I hope that makes sense. And re-accessing the network location to load a second file happens instantly now.

In summary, significantly improved performance with one remaining anomaly.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The 'slow motion' part is due to the time taken to read the file over the network connection, it is a great deal slower than reading it from the local disk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts