Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an old Energy Microstar MS12.1 that I was thinking of using as a tester for a DIY sealed enclosure and amp. The basics were, 1500 watt Peak - claimed - class D with a 1 cubic foot enclosure and 12" high excursion driver. It only has a 5/8" MDF frame (which I plan on adding some dampning material along the lines of No Rez or Black Hole 5 to) and, it is getting older, but I own it and the wife lets me have it in the family room system.

The Energy is okay for movies down to about 30 Hz and then dies out pretty fast after that. When I bought it in 1999 small form factor subs were pretty new and cool. Since then technology has marched on in many ways. The sub has a pretty large 12 inch high excursion driver, Specs say 2.5" voice coil, 3" voice coil, 13.2 lb magnet, driver weighs in at 29.6 Lb's over all. It is hard to find actual details on the driver or amp and Energy didn't want to send me anything when I emailed them a request. I believe the driver is a 3.6 Ohm, single voicecoil but will have to check that to be sure.

OK, now to the meat of my post. I have been toying with the idea of swapping out the driver for maybe a Fi Q12 (Dual 2 ohm coils that I was going to wire in parallel to try to get a 4 ohm load. Fi's specs say that they can wok with a sealed enclosure down to .8 ft^3. Does anyone want to venture a guess ( as that is all anyone can really give) as to how this would perform?

As mentioned earlier I am planing on adding damping material and may fabricate an additional brace but the enclosure is already small so that may be out of what I can do with this.

The motivation is, well, I am curious as to what I can do with this for a smaller cost than buying a whole new sub and I want to see how the new players stack up. I have 2 SVS subs in my home theater that I like but I am curious as to what I can do in a small, sealed configuration.

Sorry for all the blabbing and if I decide this will be worth it I will post pic's and a write up of the process. All input is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

~Nick

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Make a new box double thick all around with 1.5 CuFt with proper bracing. Trying to reuse a low quality box with a $250 driver probably won't give you the results you want:T And while your at it, make it a 15'' driver. Don't be scared :hsd:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts