Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any good ones out there? I need something thin, but, it can be tall ( up to 24") and no more than 12" wide. Kind of limited to 8" - 10" drivers, but, it's what I have room for. Eventually I may add a second. $400 for the amp and driver.

Forgot to mention this is only for music.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The Dayton RSS265HF 10" driver works well in 1cuft sealed. You could build a box only 9" deep with a width of 12" and a height of 24". Considering your budget, you could build two for $400 with a pair of these amps.

http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/

Jack from NHT offers a lot of info on the site about these little monsters and adjusting the filters.

Ported doesn't make much sense in that small of a box IMO. The Peerless XLS 10" driver with a Passive Radiator would work but since you're limited to both drivers on the front face, you'd have to secure it to the wall to keep it from rocking with the moving mass of both the PR and the driver. Sealed makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That just might work. 9" would just fit! I would be able to extend the budget a little if I were doing 2. Any other amp options? Maybe one that can drive both, or, a 2 channel.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was thinking that as well Mike but then remembered the $400 budget. These little surplus amps are no joke 100w at 4ohms and there's a few turnkey adjustments for filters and Q inside as many of the DIY guys have been messing with em. They're worth the $35 that's for sure. Given the sealed alignment a stereo Pro amp would work well with no subsonic for better extension.....i just can't think of one for $150? Got any in mind for the OP?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, on second though, the pro amp might not be ideal as for 2 channel I may have to run speaker level inputs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts