Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this software and the 2496. I have been playing with it for about a week doing sweeps and downloading the filters via MIDI with no problems. I am actually utilizing the SMS-1 into my 18" Energy subwoofer and have been quite happy with it.

I added the 2496 because I have the Infinity RS-1b's as my mains that utilize 6 8" woofers per side bi-amped and wanted to EQ them. Last night I had the idea of rather than running REW and downloading the filters to the 2496 I ran the sweep signal from the SMS-1 into each R&L FT channel separate and manually adjusted the 2496 while watching the sweep signal in real time. It was !MUCH! easier :T (as long as you have a basic knowledge of what a PEQ does)

It does not seem difficult to implement this sort of real time signal generating/tracing into REW. Has this been brought up before??

Bob..

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Has this been brought up before??
No, and likely because most people will simply use the very nice RTA (real time analyser) feature of REW.

Simply select the Spectrum tab and select RTA 1/24 octave and start the REW signal generator using Periodic Pink Noise (PinkPN).
Here are the settings to use - FFT = 65536, Average = 2, Window = Rectangular (important), No bars option, Y-Axis = dBFS with scale = -70 to 0.

You can overlay a measurement on the screen to see the changes in the RTA plot as you move your mic around or change filters dynamically etc...

Below is a typical plot I took of a sub and then without moving the mic, started the RTA.

brucek

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks again Bruce! Now I have something else to play with :yay:
I have been playing with REW for the last few weeks utilizing the RTA with the following results (Showing just my left channel) and only 3 filters in the FBQ2496 applied. The images show 1/12th, 1/6th and full octave responses. I find using the RTA and realtime manual adjustments a bit easier. How do these look? BTW, it sounds great!

Bob..

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody??

I understand not utilize too many filters or should I be obsessing over something else here :mooooh:

Or of course just :surrender:

THANKS, Bob..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like maybe some more work could be done in the 25-40 Hz range...

Are you using the 2496 on the mains, three filters? I could comment better if I could see a baseline graph and what filters you used.

Regards,
Wayne
Yes, the mains have 6 8 inch woofers each bi-amped so the 2496 is ONLY on the woofer towers. The filters (LT CH anyway) are:

26.0Hz -7.0db 0.20Q
45.2Hz -15.0db 1.0Q
123hz -10.0db 0.75Q​

I Attached a before and after full band scan (That's all I have left..) with the 3 filters AND MultEQ XT run after the PEQ was set.

Bob..

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts