Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've touched on this in a few post - but figured we could start a planning thread.

Initially, mine will be used to power a desktop system that will turn into a dedicated 2.1 channel system....adding a USB DAC & speakers yet to be determined. At first it will just be passing through my Audigy Soundcard & likely use my Paradigm Titans from old set-up...
Investigating (read trying to get in the budget) Squeezebox & others to get sound all 'round the house. A Gizmo may power each remote location (2, maybe 3) - but I have a feeling(hoping?) by the time I can accomplish this, there will be a 2nd gen w/ remote included...:scratchchin::goodvibes::stirthepot:

·
Registered
40 Posts
We've touched on this in a few post - but figured we could start a planning thread.

Initially, mine will be used to power a desktop system that will turn into a dedicated 2.1 channel system....adding a USB DAC & speakers yet to be determined. At first it will just be passing through my Audigy Soundcard & likely use my Paradigm Titans from old set-up...
Investigating (read trying to get in the budget) Squeezebox & others to get sound all 'round the house. A Gizmo may power each remote location (2, maybe 3) - but I have a feeling(hoping?) by the time I can accomplish this, there will be a 2nd gen w/ remote included...:scratchchin::goodvibes::stirthepot:
I will be using mine in my living and dining room to power my 1st gen X-LS in rosewood. My source is somewhat TBD. If someone comes out with an inexpensive net radio streamer (<$100) that will be the source. Until then i will use my ipod and possibly a laptop. Currently i have a trends in this sytem. The extra power and sub out are my main reasons to upgrade. And i have to admit - aesthetically it will be cool to have the matching wood on the speakers and amp. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't really have a use for it. I just bought it to help out a new company. I gave away our old bedroom system yesterday and need a new integrated amp in there, but we need three inputs - CD, FM and Vinyl turntable. I could do a simple guest room system. All of our grandkids have those iPods. Mostly, however, I just thought I would hook it up to the computer to play internet radio. We can get a choice of good classical music stations that way from around the world. I had planned on getting those AudioEngine 5 speakers or a KingRex and build some high efficiency desktop speakers. But I bought the Gizmo instead. I really like the subwoofer output.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am putting mine in my Banishment room.

5 bedroom house, 2 kids. Bedroom 4 is a play room. Bedroom 5 is my Wife's sewing/crafts room.

So, part 3 of the 3 car garage is my banishment room, where my golf gear and my PC sits. My main audio system is in the family room, but there are often times that I am forced to retreat into Banishment. My PC is about to be upgrade to a little media center to make my banishment more tolerable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really have no use for mine...but I will test and compare the hell out of it for the rest of you guys!! :salute:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am putting mine in my Banishment room.

QUOTE]

This is a great idea! Remember those funny beer commercials where the guys hide out? You know, pull a lever and a secret room appears? This would be an interesting thread here maybe -- the personal space hideaway.

Instead of showing off big beautiful HT rooms stacked full floor to ceiling with amplifiers and speakers, etc... just the Minimalist approach of the personal space... how to get the most enjoyment from the least amount of equipment in the smallest space.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going to use it for my desktop system. I am going to go from a Chaintech AV-710 > Little Dot III (for the Tube pre-amp) > Gizmo > AV123 x-ls Encores. I can't wait:cloud9:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going to rub some miracle grow on it and hope for the best!:yes:

Can't believe I'm the 1st one with a joke about the wang!:angel::assshake::sly:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Use it with some Hawthorne OB's in one of my systems...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would this make sense???

In looking at Squeezebox/other streamers, I've also considered this:
Placing MP3/IPOD docks in various rooms connected to GIZMO and speakers.
The reason I'm considering this is the $$ to get sound everywhere. I'll have my HT room & desktop system for those rooms. Possibly a 3.1 (maybe even 5.1) for the living area once things said and done. Already 5.1 in bedroom. But, I would like to have music capabilites in the kitchen/dinning area (big counter bar space), the loft which holds home gym, and outside.
I know I would loose some "user-friendliness" such as remote control, but the overall "learning" curve would be easier. (my GF hates remotes anyway)
And, believe it or not, I don't even have an MP3 player yet, so investigating those & "docks" too...
I would start w/ 1 player to move from dock to dock as used...
Would build a "weather proof" box to house outdoor GIZMO/dock & maybeCC could come up w/ some outdoor speakers??:stirthepot:

This sound doable??? Any smaller, lower $$ (less than $200) player/dock recommendations that would help accomplish this?? I know, IPOD would work - but what about others? And I don't need/care to have video capability...

Just quick searching, I found this:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=668&product=17372
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=668&product=16186

Gotta look at these closer, see what users think.

·
Registered
261 Posts
:shiftyeyes: I'm going to use mine to take over the world!!! :brainiac:

Oh wait Craig just told me it can't do that, :hissyfit: so guess I'll juast have to use for a 2.1 channel system in my Library. :cloud9:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Gizmo will be in my wife's art studio at home so she can listen to her music while she paints. Cindy's studio system will look like this, Zune>Gizmo>Onix Ref .5 & Scamp-10. This should be a very nice system to listen to while she does her stuff on canvas with oils.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Preamp/Tuner Review $500

I've been thinking about what to do with my GIZMO and came across this recent review in StereoMojo -- www.stereomojo.com/index.html -- for a new preamp that I had never heard of, the Jaton RC7000P. It only costs $500 and has a built in AM/FM tuner. The Jaton preamp received a very favorable review, especially considering the price and the added tuner. The writer compared it favorably (at least not embarrassingly) to his Linn. That's saying alot for a budget component. He also said that he noticed that the tuner pulled in a lot more stations than he was accustomed to. All in all, I was impressed enough to decide to share the review. Now what would we do (I apologize, I'm geek challenged sometimes) would we plug the (say) Jaton preamp into the GIZMO's one input, and would that let us plug additional music servers into the preamp, and could we also just listen to FM from the built in tuner? Oy! A run on sentence, all those ands! Also, the above URL takes you to the page where the Jaton review is featured this month. I didn't know how to copy the entire URL from there... and I was too lazy to write it down and have to retype it. Still, I think I think it is a good read or I wouldn't have wasted your time, and I'd appreciate reading your thoughts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to love it and hug it and squeeze it and hold it. Sir, your question sounds rather personal to me. It's my GIZMO and i'll play with it if I want to. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to love it and hug it and squeeze it and hold it. Sir, your question sounds rather personal to me. It's my GIZMO and i'll play with it if I want to. :D

:Weirdo:Okie dokie then! Looks like we'll all be bringing our Gizmos to any TCA GTGs...
just no need to compare - all Gizmos are basically the same. Of course, this being Tweak City Audio, I'm sure there will plenty 'o folks tweaking theres....We can just tell each other how we use them:nervous:

Think I'm gonna invite SoundVixen from AV123 to come audition mine...:snaggletooth:

This thread is now officially:toilet:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now what would we do (I apologize, I'm geek challenged sometimes) would we plug the (say) Jaton preamp into the GIZMO's one input, and would that let us plug additional music servers into the preamp, and could we also just listen to FM from the built in tuner? Oy! A run on sentence, all those ands! Also, the above URL takes you to the page where the Jaton review is featured this month. I didn't know how to copy the entire URL from there... and I was too lazy to write it down and have to retype it. Still, I think I think it is a good read or I wouldn't have wasted your time, and I'd appreciate reading your thoughts.
Thanks for this link. I tend to associate Jaton with cheapie computer parts - you know, the stuff that always seems to be 1 generation behind the current stuff, and usually found in the close-out bins. Still good for building a PC on the cheap. As far as connecting the pre to the Gizmo, it should work. Sometimes matching the output of the pre to the input sensitivity of the integrated could be a problem. You might want to wait to get all the technical specs of the 2 components before you commit. Even then some tweaking of the volume on the pre might be necessary.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Need two Gizmo's to biamp my OBLS-1 DIY PC speaker project and run the DIY open baffle servo controlled sub.

This might also work with biamped DSP Crossover idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Need two Gizmo's to biamp my OBLS-1 DIY PC speaker project and run the DIY open baffle servo controlled sub.

This might also work with biamped DSP Crossover idea.
Oh nice, I saw your OBLS-1 thread, but I don't recall seeing the open baffle sub. Is there a thread I missed on those? I do love OB bass.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts