Oh well, time for a new one. Contenders:

HSU VTF mk3 $509
SVS SB12-NSB $549
Empire Epik Legend single driver $499
ED A5S-300 $550
Sunfire SDS-12 $550

Tidbits to narrow the field:

Small room 12x16
One spot to put it. Front corner. Very little breathing room for it, i.e. 6-7 inch from any side is either a wall, wall/curtain, end of a couch or the TV stand.

Front main speakers are Axiom M22s

Other information available on request...:)

Recommendation and reasoning requested please :hissyfit:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've heard the Hsu and SVS. I'd buy the Hsu.

What do you want?:sarcastic: It's the first day of the new football season.:devil:

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
HSU and SVS are trusted names, and I can personally vouch for the folks at ED...those guys know how to build bass. keep in mind the price of the ED includes shipping.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I would say all of those are very good performers and you might be hard pressed to ever discern much of a difference, so I would probably go with the least expensive Epik. They are very well reviewed.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Epik Legend or Rythmik F12G

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well first email back for SVS. They only sell through a company in Canada, WITH ha hefty overhead $150 Canadian.

Epik doesn't seem to ship to Canada, Unless of course you are willing to void the warranty and setup your own shipping.

Rythmik is over the budget at $799

Still waiting on HSU and ED.

No opinions on the Sunfire?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I'll hope ED will be willing to ship your way i've been to there facility in Iowa here and they do not compromise quality at all very top notch craftsmanhip. :T

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
DIY :D
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=QUARTET12(TRIO12)B
And spend the rest of the money on the box. (maybe have a cabinet maker build it for you... there`s like full instructions on that page)

Re: Sunfire - I don`t know how it performs, but I`m sure it`s a safe bet. It`s one of those reliable brands IMHO. I`d probably put my money on the Legend, HSU, eD, and SVS all outperforming it though.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Just got a parts express catalog. They have a special on titanic sub with 1000w amp for $700, don't know if it includes shipping but if it did, it wouldn't be much more than your list of products...20" cube, 15" driver, and parametric eq built in.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Just got a parts express catalog. They have a special on titanic sub with 1000w amp for $700, don't know if it includes shipping but if it did, it wouldn't be much more than your list of products...20" cube, 15" driver, and parametric eq built in.
Parts Express has free shipping on orders over $100 done over the internet.:T

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Hey Andre, you didn't say what went boom. I take it the whole thing is toasted? I ask because we could probably find a replacement driver for much less than an entire sub, that is if you have a good cabinet and amp still in existence. Likewise if the driver is good and the amp fried.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Old Yamy YST-300, not worth saving imho. Not really interested in DIY (not that handy, broken back from military). I have recieved emails from both HSU and ED. HSU is about $60 more shipped the the ED. I have yet to find a review on the A5S-300 and how it is with movies since that is what 98% of its job will be. Nothing in town I would think would come close to either for $700 Canadian. No idea about the Sunfire. Searched the internet for any other company in that price range too no avail.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Hsu has lesser amp but balanced with larger, ported enclosure

eD has stronger amp but smaller sealed enclosure, I'm guess the amp has eq to boost the low end to achieve flat output.

Some say they prefer sealed for sound quality, others are indifferent. You'll likely end up with an excellent sub whichever way. Personally, if I went with a retail sub, I'd ask about b-stock (returns, slight blemishes) as it can save you money. If I got a deal like that I'd go with any of the subs you mentioned in your post.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Old Yamy YST-300, not worth saving imho. Not really interested in DIY (not that handy, broken back from military). I have recieved emails from both HSU and ED. HSU is about $60 more shipped the the ED. I have yet to find a review on the A5S-300 and how it is with movies since that is what 98% of its job will be. Nothing in town I would think would come close to either for $700 Canadian. No idea about the Sunfire. Searched the internet for any other company in that price range too no avail.
Personnally i'd go for the ED, I think that way mostly cause i've seen first hand the quality of there product as i have no experiance with owning any store bought or name brand subs other then Paradigm.:T

That makes me think, are the price of Paradigms cheaper there being that they are built in Canada?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"are the price of paradigms cheaper in Canada" I can get the DSP3100 for approx the same price the the HSU or ED.

On another note I had a thought last night....what if my sub is fine and my problem is either the cable or the recievers LFE output. Checking the cable is simple, try another one, however, how do you check if the LFE output is outputing properly?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
You can check the output with a volt meter, maybe +- 1V. Otherwise, you could check the line/amp by connecting the sub's speaker leads to another speaker (be sure to turn volume low). A midrange speaker may not output much, but should get some low freq, especially if you set the crossover to 100 hz or higher.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts