Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
So I can connect a small speaker to the back of the sub and get sound out of it even if the sub is only plugged into the LFE output?
The sub's amp will output <80hz or <100hz, whatever you're receiver's crossover is set at, provided you're using the reciever's processor. If you disconnect the speaker leads on the driver, then connect to another driver/speaker, it will 'try' to reproduce as much below 80/100hz as it can, thus the need to keep volume at a minimum. The speaker, depending on capability, will reproduce the portion below 80/100hz that it can. If it does, your connection and amp may well be fine. In which case, an inexpensive driver from parts express or the like could probably be dropped in to the cabinet. It may even improve the sound from stock, if chosen correctly. I'll have to check which model Yamaha sub you have...

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Sure it could. You could do the same with the sub's driver: connect it to the speaker r/l mains from the receiver (best if you select full-range/no sub) and see if the driver reproduces sound. It could be either one that's bad. Check them out.

That doesn't look like a cheap sub. I always thought Yamaha's subs were lower grade than their electronics, but that looks like a pretty good model. If it's the driver, it could be tricky to recommend a replacement as it uses a proprietary amp, perhaps someone else here could lend a hand if that is needed.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I have finished my testing. The sub is working BUT even at the volume set to max its sound lvl is very low. I am thinking its the built in amp that is the problem. According to my wife (my memory is very bad), I have brought it in to be fixed for this problem before, not sure I want to do that yet again. Anyways, I am down to two replacment subs. The HSU which is purchase through the internet or I can buy a Paradigm DSP-3200 here in town from Audio 5.1. Anyone have knowledge of this particular Paradigm and how it compares the the HSU?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Which HSU sub were you looking at? I have had the same midline 10" Paradigm for 16 years and it is still going strong. The DSP appears to be in the same line up as mine was from back then, Personnly i don't think you could go wrog with that one but i haven't checked out the HSU's. Post which one your interested in and i'll have a look.:T

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Good news- you get to upgrade :heehee::heehee: If they'll cost about the same, my vote is for the Hsu as it is a larger cab and likely a bit deeper for ht, if you don't mind the larger cab, but see what opinion others have that have actually used these.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I'll asume you are looking at the HSU VTF-3, if that is the one my vote goes to the Paradigm as it's bass extension is abit lower then the HSU and there quality has never let me down. On a side note though the HSU has a 7 year driver and 2 year amp warrenty where with the Paradigm it's 5 and 1 year.
I am still curious to know which HSU that your interested in.
At any rate i don't think you'll be dissapointed with either sub.:T

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Bambino I was looking at the VTF-2. However, I went out today and listened to some subs. I first listen to the Paradigm and it sounded alot like my Yamaha when it was alive. The salesman then brought in a REL and the sound was different (much better imho) less boom with as much bass if that makes any sense. I was leaning very much towards that REL, then I went to a different store and listened to everythng they had, Paradigm again, Vega (yuck), a $4k Velodyne, Then I listened to a very very small 8" Sunfire "True Subwoofer", I was blown away, I couldn't believe what was coming out of that puppy. The added benifit of the sunfire is that because of its size I would be able to put it in a few more positions then I would be able too with a larger sub. I didn't buy it yet, I wanted to research just a tad more and ask opinions.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I don't think what I would truely want exists. When I listen to the REL I get the sense of my main speakers turning into much larger ones, the bass melds in with what your listening to giving it depth I guess is a good enough term. However, when asked to do explosions and thundering hooves a high impact lvls it doesn't. The bass increases but not to the impact "That Particular INSTANT requires". The Paradigm, Vega, Sunfire, Velodyne are the opposite. The impact is always on, but at lower lvls. When the instant happens it is produced in all its glory. However, when there is no need for that bass it is still there, but at a lower volume, which I find tiring/annoying after a while. Call it what you will "an apifany" but I didn't realize what I really wanted and was never geting untill I went out and listened to everything available in town.

Now is it possible to have REL type sound for most of a movie or a movie with very little LFE and have Sunfire explosions, earthquakes...etc Only when it really needs to be there?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Thats kind of what is nice about the Paradigm as it has the USB port on the back for there room correction software, kind of a cool feature.:T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I would suggest to my dealer that this rather expensive purchase could be dependant on them installing my sub and using their PBK for just that purpose. If you word it correctly, I'm sure they will come round. Its no surprise you cant borrow it, when they want $300 for it and its only going to be used once. The software is already on the sub, you simply need the mic and PC software to back it up which makes the asking seem a lot. Thing is, is there really any point no using it if the sub has it, even the SVS EQ-1 is twice the price, although it can be used with anything.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Good call Moonfly, if they would like to make the sale then one would hope they would be willing to set it up for you. One great way to get return customers and make them happy.:T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Its got to be at least worth a shot. Act like you have the cash on you and are ready to go, but you heard of this little think called the PBK, which you cant afford to stretch to, but really dont want the sub without it. 'Would it be possible for a home install using the PBK', at worst I reckon a 50 should persuade them to do it assuming they have the PBK.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Will room correction really make the Paradigm disappear like the REL and still have its kick to the head punch when really required? I listened to a $4k Velodyne with their version of room correction and though it was not a bad as the Paradigm or Sunfire I found it still heavy handed when it didn't need to be.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts