Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sometimes I strip a little bit of insulation (1/4inch or less) tin the end, then strip more insulation so that the set screw contacts bare wire.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sometimes I strip a little bit of insulation (1/4inch or less) tin the end, then strip more insulation so that the set screw contacts bare wire.
I've done similar before, but usually just strip to length, twist tightly and tin the end. Keeps the strands from straying and leaves a clear Cu section to make the joint if that's what you want.

With new builds I just use Speakons or Cu spades, crimped then soldered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would prefer soldering the wire to banana plugs for better and tighter connection. Some of the previous post have stated that solder wire becomes lose is nonsense. You just need to know the proper way on how to solder it. When soldering make sure the tip of the soldering iron is touching the wire and banana plug at the same time. The wire will get hot faster than the banana plug, so.. make sure the banana plug is also hot that it can melt the solder wire so you wont get a cold joint solder.To prevent a cold solder, use your solder wire and touch the cable wire and banana plug that it can melt. Plus make sure the speaker wire and banana plug is flat when soldering it together that way its easier to fill up the whole diameter of the banana plug and as a result. You will get a permanent tight connection except unsoldering it. Oh plus don't forget to clean the brown stuff that came from the solder.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would prefer soldering the wire to banana plugs for better and tighter connection. Some of the previous post have stated that solder wire becomes lose is nonsense. You just need to know the proper way on how to solder it. When soldering make sure the tip of the soldering iron is touching the wire and banana plug at the same time. The wire will get hot faster than the banana plug, so.. make sure the banana plug is also hot that it can melt the solder wire so you wont get a cold joint solder.To prevent a cold solder, use your solder wire and touch the cable wire and banana plug that it can melt. Plus make sure the speaker wire and banana plug is flat when soldering it together that way its easier to fill up the whole diameter of the banana plug and as a result. You will get a permanent tight connection except unsoldering it. Oh plus don't forget to clean the brown stuff that came from the solder.
Before you call the comments others nonsense you might want to ask for clarification or read the thread carefully. The comments are with respect to lossening are mostly related to tinning the wire and using plugs with set screws or binding posts. The solder does tend to flatten and you have to tighten sometimes. Connections that are soldered together are fine, if they are done correctly. Not all wires and connectors are great for soldering, however, and one much be careful to get a solid solder joint.

You may want to post an image of the banana plugs you are using, as there are many types and your description may not apply to some of them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
soldered wire ends are difficult crimp or tightening the binding post when used as barewire. a little amount of solder is still workable or use good quality solder with more silver content..

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you think you have to use solder, either due to loose strands or ease of installation, only use a high quality silver solder. Never use the 60/40 tin solder for your audiio projects. Pure copper wire to your terminals always provides a better connection with less resistance. I would only use the solder when necessary.

As far as the speaker builders using solder to make their connections within the drivers, there is no getting around that and I feel sure they use a high quality solder, at least with the upper scale driver builders.

When I solder my drivers to my interconnect wiring, I feed the bare wire through the terminal hole provided for me and carry the wire around the terminal and solder the wire directly to the lead in wire of the driver. I also solder the wire at the hole in the terminal for both a more secure connection and it also acts as a strain releif so you don't rip the lead in wire from the driver.
Hello, can you please advise me as to a reputable brand for the “ high quality silver” solder you mentioned? I never know if Amazon can be trusted for such things.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Hello, can you please advise me as to a reputable brand for the “ high quality silver” solder you mentioned? I never know if Amazon can be trusted for such things.
Just FYI, his post was from 2010 and he’s been gone awhile.
Also, I wouldn’t Tin my wires unless you have a specific need to do so. You’ll get a much better “crush” and connection with bare copper. Banana plugs are ok, and quite useful if your switching receivers or speakers frequently.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts