Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am looking to overhaul my entire entertainment center, and one of my thoughts is how to go about building the TV stand. I am going to build myself a custom stand to fit just the HTPC, audio receiver, maybe a Wii, and I am thinking of tucking the Subs into the bottom of this.

Currently I have 3 JL W0v2 I have had them in my car for a couple years but barely ever use them anymore so I am thinking of taking them into the house now. They are still in good shape since they never even saw half power since my amp was on the weak side. Granted I never thought these subs hit the low notes as well as I hoped but they came in a prebuilt sealed box that is a little undersized. So I am hoping that with a better enclosure and better amp they will shine well. The specs that JL calls for on these ported is 1.750 Cu Ft per speaker tuned to 26 Hz. I think by cabinate space will be 58" w by 17" H by 19" deep cause that gives me just 10.8cu ft gross also those dimensions would be good cause the tv is 58" wide and the depth with give all my componants a little wiggle room in the back. and how many and what size ports should i use? But will going double the size that is called for mess up the sound? Should I compact them towards the center and close off the edges? Should I baffle the front of them, which i would kind of like so that they are stealth, and if so does that sheet of wood in the front need to be solid or can I cut some design in it with a jig saw and just make sure that it is solid right infront of the cone. I have noticing some people on this board using sound damping inside the boxes why is this? Also does having a denser back panel help, such as should i take the front panel of a cast iron tub and use it for the back plate and have the porcline (smooth) side face the back of the driver? Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp for these subs, they handle 250 max Should I just scrap these subs cause of all the work i am going to go through to design and build this cabinate just to find out these subs really aren't enough and then when i go to drop in new subs i will curse cause i have to build a whole new cabinate?

Oh and this set up is mostly for TV and Movies, some music but I am not a teenager anymore so that end doesn't really matter to me anymore. And this will just be in my living room so I me i am just looking for good noticable quality, not top high end just better then the normal living room.
Thank you for all your help and time

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
how many and what size ports should i use? But will going double the size that is called for mess up the sound?
How the subs will perform for this application will depend on their T/S parameters. Post the parameters and we can model the subs to see if they will work for what you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SUBWOOFER
12WØv2-4
Free Air Resonance (Fs):28.43 Hz
Electrical “Q” (Qes):0.715
Mechanical “Q” (Qms):10.709
Total Speaker “Q” (Qts):0.670
Equivalent Compliance (Vas): 2.530 ft3 71.64 liters
One-way, Linear Excursion (Xmax)*:0.45 in. 11.4 mm
Efficiency (1W/1m)**:85.64 dB SPL
Effective Piston Area (Sd):74.509 in2 0.0481 m2
DC Resistance (Re):4.280 ohm
Nominal Impedance:4 ohm
Power Handling (continuous):300 W
Driver Displacement:0.048 ft3 1.36 liters

Recommeded by JL
Volume (net int.)1.750 ft3 39.56 liters
Enclosure External Dimensions (based on 3/4 plywood)17.5 in. x 14.75 in. x 16.25 in. 445 mm x 375 mm x 413 mm
Round Port specs 3 in. x 14 in. 76.2 mm x 356 mm
Tune To 26 Hz
F3 30.8 Hz

I hope that covers what you want

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The current room is 12' by 14' with a half wall kitchen and fully open dining room, the dinning room is 8' by 7' and the kitchen is the same... the kitchen is on the left side of the TV. So my sofa is 11-12 ft from the where the unit will be. How much of a difference will room dimension make for this cause I am thiinking of moving in a couple months but the room size will probably be relitively the same.

Yea it will be mostly for movies, like I will listen to music through it but i am looking for the movies to sound really good. And yea I would prefer the deeper base but if need be I can get a tactile transducer for that really low base (would I need to get a seperate amp for that and their for needI get a 7.2 receiver?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is larger volume box always better? like I can make the box 6 inches taller and 2 inches deeper. also if I am going to be buying new subs would it be worth it then to step up to 2- 15'' ?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The parameters of the sub determine how big the box should be. A bigger diameter sub will give you more output, How much output will depend on your budget for a sub and amp. Your bigger box size has a net volume of 12.5 cu. ft. , that's enough room for a 18" sub. It all depends on your budget.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts