Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First of all am I posting in the righ place???

I have just got the subwoofer YST-215 paired with Yamaha NS10m
I have just put the woofer in between the sweet spot and done a sweep from 15-400 Hz

The sub in in Phase reverse mode. I have acoustic treatment in the room (Side walls, corners, and part of the ceiling)
As NS 10's have a bump on 131 Hz ---or that could be my room?

This graph obviously has a problem between 80-100 Hz--this is approximately where my crosover frequency is set. I am new to this, never done some subwoofer measurements before. I would like to learn how to do this properly. How to setup a crossover frequency? how to level the subwoofer with the satelites properly?

·
Banned
516 Posts
It would help substantially if the raw data .mdat file was posted allowing us to convolve and massage the data.

I am also curious as to the reference to "phase reverse mode", as to exactly what that means and why it is enabled. Is this a delay of 180 degrees in phase, or a polarity reverse?

As far as how to align the sub and full range speakers, this process is explained fully at this link.

For a presentation of this paper by the author, you can find that

Since many take offense if we attempt to explain the process here, I won't. But you are welcome to peruse the paper and the video presentation and folks are welcome to complain to those sources - especially as it does not simply focus on the application of EQ.

Below is a summary:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info.
By phase shift, I actually meant polarity reverse. I will look at the texts and video and see what I can get out of it.

·
Banned
516 Posts
By using the impulse response, you will want both the full range speaker and the woofer moving forward with the initial application of stimulus.
You do not want them out of polarity, meaning one speaker moves forward while the other moves backward.

·
Banned
516 Posts
You do not set polarity on the basis of "size".
You have the same polarity and then you set the appropriate delay to align the signals with respect to time, dependent upon their separation distance (and correlative time offsets) relative to the listening position.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Place the sub in your sweet spot and move yourself around the room. Listen for where the base sounds best there will be a couple of spots in the room that the sound is best. Those are the spots that your most likely to has the best response. Place the sub there and then start your EQ.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Place the sub in your sweet spot and move yourself around the room. Listen for where the base sounds best there will be a couple of spots in the room that the sound is best. Those are the spots that your most likely to has the best response. Place the sub there and then start your EQ.
I don't really have an EQ for the woofer.
I am running around the room and listening. Since my room is like an open space, I have a lot of standing wawes in untreated corner areas. That's where it sounds loudest and most resonant.
The best sound I should get is at the listening position....

BTW--no one said anything about the graph :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm giving you a shortcut. Put your sub in your listening position then find the spot on the floor that sounds best. Put the sub there and the listening position should sound good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts