Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver and a 7.1 config. (living room)

Center = Polk Audio CS10
Front LR = Polk Audio TSi100 (2)
Side surr LR = Polk Audio OWM3 (2)
Back surr LR = Polk Audio TSi100 (2)
Sub = Klipsch Sub-10

[Links were provided but had not allowed me to]

Our bedroom is setup with Bose Acoustimass 10 series 3.

When I am playing Call of Duty / Music on the bose system, I can hear more sounds, a person stepping on a stick, hear a person walking up the stairs.

Is it my speakers or receiver that need to be changed in the living room?

I was told that it's better to buy all your speakers and system separate than in a box.

I did the Audyssey setup, but I still can't get the sound that I hear from the Bose system in the bedroom.

Thank you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ok, after searching the specs of your receiver, that unit has a enormous amount of abilities. You may want to give the distance specs of your setup so one of us can better help you. I love stuff like this especially with such a great receiver and your speakers specified are capable if setup correctly and you should be hearing gobs better than the Bose setup.

So, please provide your room dimensions and distance from your speakers.

Your Audyssey MultEQ XT is super awesome to so you may need to scroll thru and let us know what it set things to and distance provided, and so on. Lets make sure your physical measurement matches the calibrated measured distance.:T

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
When you say you can hear more sounds, is it primarily in the treble/High frequencies? If so, you may have a blown tweeter, or you may simply not be hearing your high frequencies as clearly because they are being masked by the mid and lows. Also, are these sounds masked only when they are in the surround channels? You may need to check your surround setup to make sure the information from your surround/back channels are actually being sent to the appropriate speakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K i'm back with the results.

The livingroom is 15'x15' (not including the dining and kitchen). The living room is all in one big room connecting with the dining room and kitchen with no wall in between. Living room itself is 15x15.

Actual Measurements from the main seating couch
Going Clockwise from left speaker:
Left: 8'7"
Center: 9'7"
Right: 9'3"
Surr R: 6'8"
Surr Back R: 7'6"
Surr Back L: 7'4"
Surr L: 4'11"
Sub: 9'

Distances between speakers:
L -- 4'3" -- C -- 4'5" -- R
SB L -- 9'9" -- SB R

Measurements in Audyssey:
Going Clockwise from left speaker:
Left: 9'5"
Center: 11'5"
Right: 11'
Surr R: 5'5"
Surr Back R: 5'
Surr Back L: 6'
Surr L: 5'
Sub: 9'

Speaker Config (Onkyo):
subwoofer: yes
Front: 80 Hz THX
Center: 80 Hz THX
Surround: 80 Hz THX
Surr Back: 80 Hz THX
Surr Back Ch: 2ch
LPF of LFE: 80 Hz THX
Double Bass: Off THX

Level Calibration:
Left: 0 db
Center: -4 db
Right: 0 db
Surr R: -1 db
Surr Back R: +3 db
Surr Back L: +3 db
Surr L: -1 db
Sub: +7 db

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
LP of LFE should be 120hz, but that won't help the problem you're describing. Check to make sure your tweeters are working, that your game system is sending surround audio, and that your system is decoding surround audio.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
You should be able to simply place your Ear where the Tweeters are to ascertain whether or not your Tweeters are working. Just to make sure, there are not Dual Binding Posts for Biamping or Biwiring the Speakers? If so, if the Jumpers are not in place and you are connecting a single Speaker Cable with the Jumpers removed, you would not get sound from the Tweeter and whatever Frequencies where the Crossover is.

If the Tweeters are blown, it should be quite evident as Voices will be unintelligible. Looking at the Audyssey Results, it would not seem that there is an issue with your Tweeters. That is a pretty high level for the Subwoofer however. Is the Volume Control on the Subwoofer set near Minimum?

Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
919 Posts
Maybe the bedroom Bose set-up has the surround speaker volume levels at an unnaturally high setting, making them more 'noticeable.'
Time to break out the SPL meter!

For checking the tweeters, you should be able to cover and uncover the tweeter driver with you hand and hear it 'appear' and 'disappear.'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts