Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just learned that street prices for the AE4000U in Canada will be $3000.00 At the current exchange rate the price in Canada should be $2104.00. While I can understand there MAY be some differences in distribution costs etc between Canada and the US I am sure those differences could not possibly account for $896.00. The bottom line is that Panasonic is gouging their Canadian customers:rant:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have just learned that street prices for the AE4000U in Canada will be $3000.00 At the current exchange rate the price in Canada should be $2104.00. While I can understand there MAY be some differences in distribution costs etc between Canada and the US I am sure those differences could not possibly account for $896.00. The bottom line is that Panasonic is gouging their Canadian customers:rant:
You can get someone to send you the 4000U from the US.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get someone to send you the 4000U from the US.
Yes and that is what I will probably do if I can get over how mad I am at Panasonic. I think I will wait and do some comparisons to see if other manufacturers are up to the same hijinks. I think I will find they are but not to that extent. Buying from the US brings its own set of problems as well with unknown brokerage fees, warranty issues etc.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You will find that almost all companies add a substantial markup in Canada. Brokerage fees and GST get added to all imports so much for the "free trade" agreement we have with the US. I've always thought that was a big joke.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will find that almost all companies add a substantial markup in Canada. Brokerage fees and GST get added to all imports so much for the "free trade" agreement we have with the US. I've always thought that was a big joke.
I agree Tony the question is to what degree. 50% seems unprecidented to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would have thought that an extra $896.00 is a small price to pay for the privilege of living your side of the border :heehee:

I just paid NZ$ 3,999 which equates to around US$ 2,880 (depending on the exchange rate yo-yo). I got a free bulb with that though. Paradise has its drawbacks I suppose!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have thought that an extra $896.00 is a small price to pay for the privilege of living your side of the border :heehee:

I just paid NZ$ 3,999 which equates to around US$ 2,880 (depending on the exchange rate yo-yo). I got a free bulb with that though. Paradise has its drawbacks I suppose!
Yes it is a good country to live in, thats why I said "sometimes". I understand NZ is quite nice as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have a friend / relative who lives near by border (or even 3-4 hour drive); you can order on their name and can bring it back to Canada if you can spend around 7 days in USA.

That's what I did. I went to vacation for two weeks in USA and ordered everything a HD projector, LG blue ray 5.1 HTIB, HDMI cables, projector mount, long power cord at her house. For family of 4 I brought all of these tax free to Canada!!!

SAVINGS:
-- My PJ costs C$1800 + 13% tax in Canada. I paid US$1350 delivered during Black Friday sale
-- LG Blue Ray 5.1 surround sound HTIB...not available in Futureshop/Best Buy. Other online Canadian site sell it for C$999 + 13% tax. I paid $480 US from Amazon.
-- 25 feet HDMI cables...Futureshop/Best Buy charge C$369 + 13% tax. I bought it from Amazon for $20 + 5 shipping
-- Projector mount. I paid $99 for a very good quality one. It costs C$150 + 13%TAX in Canada.

My whole system is ready in US$2100 which I would be just paying for PJ + Mount if I buy from Canada. So virtually the Blueray home theater + HDMI cables are free in terms of savings I made!!

I do this all the time. Go to US to meet friend / family for a week during Black Friday bring all the stuff from US tax free. I hardly buy any electronics from Canada now. Yes there is a risk for warranty...but usually with reputed brands that risk you can take for $$$ savings you make.

Be a smart Canadian!!

-K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts