Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mike, do all tubes have it?

I tried to pull off a little piece and it takes some paper with it no matter how careful I am. Do you take it off the whole tube or just the top? Will spray tack stick to it for the batting?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Already done but thanks for the reminder

I went ahead with the whole tube and I had some paper come off with it as well but not enough to worry about

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Throwing a question out here:

Lets say you find the in-room sweet spot for your sub. Is that the sweet spot no matter what sub you use? Assuming everything else is the same.

Did you guys experience this during your builds where I have 2 friends wanting me to help build them one?:demon:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After I had a little setback during the build that I will talk about a little later, I finally got Tubby finished up.
After wrestling tubby into position and a quick setup...all I can say is holly cow! This has exceeded all my expectations. Hopefully I will have some time in the next week or so to run some sweeps to get some readings.

Wired up

My attempt at integrating the port flare with a brace

Completed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had a few buddies over last night to watch Cloverfield :hsd: To say they were impressed was an understatement! Plus 2 of them want me to help them build something similar.

I just want to give a big shout out of Thanks to everyone on this forum and not just the ones that contributed to my thread but all the information contained here so that we all can benefit. The pride I had knowing that I built this myself and having it exceed my expetations is such a great feeling. For a first sub project you guys almost make this fool proof so thanks again.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Excellent work :T You are now a member of an elite club with a ~650 liter, high excursion 18" LLT.

When you get RoomEQ up and running, don't be afraid to play around with room placement, a little moving of the main seats, and some tinkering with the subwoofer distance in your receiver. These small adjustments can make BIG differences in your FR measured at your seat.

Out of curiosity, what speakers are you using? You'll want to make sure your 80-250hz range can keep up with your subwoofer, otherwise things will lose a little punch at high volumes.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Fantastic job, It must sound fantastic...........:T

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Out of curiosity, what speakers are you using? You'll want to make sure your 80-250hz range can keep up with your subwoofer, otherwise things will lose a little punch at high volumes.
They are Radient brand speakers, basically my first step from a HTiB. Although they were relatively inexpensive I am surprised they keep up as well as they do. Currently I am using my old sub (Bic H100) to try and fill that gap but your right Steve in that I need to get REW going to see what is really going on.

Here is a pic of my setup along with my little helper

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Fantastic job, It must sound fantastic...........
You know it does sound good...to me. I was worried building this thing that was going to totally overwhelm my current system but it seems to blend well. I know I have some EQing to do but I continue to be impressed.

I do have a lesson learned that I would like to pass along. Do NOT use Loctite Power Grab adhesive. I don't know, maybe I got 2 bad tubes but this stuff held worse than plain old caulk. When trying to assemble the top endcap my port came loose. Well worse but you get the idea...I let it set for 2 days before trying to install it and I made sure the release agent was removed from the tube and that the mating surfaces were good. That night I did a little test and glued up 2 small pieces of wood and let it sit for about 12 hrs and what I feared happened. I pulled it apart with my hands:wits-end:
Went back to the store and got some Liquid Nails like I should have in the first place and re-glued the whole thing and this time it stuck.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I do have a lesson learned that I would like to pass along. Do NOT use Loctite Power Grab adhesive. :wits-end:
Went back to the store and got some Liquid Nails like I should have in the first place and re-glued the whole thing and this time it stuck.
Thank you! :kiss: :rofl: Seriously, you likely saved my butt as I bought that stuff too and I was hesitant which product to use as I have no experience using anything related to that stuff-will return and get Liquid Nails too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow... looks great! Thank you very much for keeping us updated with pics and the process. This is definitely invaluable to other members.
Oh, trust me I know how it goes with friends enjoying your builds and trying to convince you to "help" them get one going as well (meaning build them one while they watch, lol).

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Finally quit listening long enough to run REW. This is my first attempt at REW so hopefully this looks right. Room size is ~ 12x18 but it feeds into a kitchen/eating area and my old Bic sub just couldn't fill it, but I certainly don't have that issue any more:bigsmile:

I do have a BFD that I plan on goofing around with but from my limited understanding I don't think it looks to bad considering I have no treatments or EQ, I took multiple readings thought the room and they were all very similar but the one posted is from the main listing position...
Thanks for everyone's comments and help, this project has exceeded my expectations which says alot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I found this thread that Ricci started about LFE in movies that I have been trying:hsd:

So far no knock on the door from the neighbors

21 - 40 of 42 Posts