Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I am considering building a sonosub but a search on google returned links dated 2000, or 2002 with pictures and step by steps but the drivers specified are discontinued

Where can i look for updated actual design and step by step instruction to build a sonosub?

Thank you

Alain Pilon

·
Registered
790 Posts
Expanding on what Mike asked:

What is your total budget for everything in this build?
What is the largest size it can be (length and diameter)?
Any drivers you've thought of already? We can suggest some if you haven't.
How loud do you want it to go?
How low do you want it to go (tuning frequency)?
How big is your room? Closed space or open to other areas? House? Apartment?
Do you only want one sub, or are you thinking of multiples?
What are your main speakers? A link would be helpful.

Answering all of these will help us steer you in the direction of (I hope) excellent results.

In the meantime, have a look at Collo's excellent Sonosub software.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
The sticky thread from Collo has the sonosub.exe link which which you can use to custom build your sonosub to match your selected driver's parameters.

Perhaps a sticky thread could be placed atop the diy subwoofer section guiding new builders what questions they will need to address prior to posting questions how to go about their build? Such as the questions posed above by Mike and 'X': size restrictions, $, planned use, etc... Seems like I often see the same general thread question followed with many members posting the necessary questions collectively, sometimes in bits and chunks (I know I've done that:dumbcrazy:).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The actual design will depend on what sub you use and what you want to achieve. What is your budget for a sub and amp and is this for Home Theater only?
Good afternoon mike ,

My budget i was thinking of getting the Behringer EP2000 amp which i can get around $300 and maybe another $300 or $400 maybe for the sub itself

Yes it would be for home theater use only

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Expanding on what Mike asked:

What is your total budget for everything in this build?
What is the largest size it can be (length and diameter)?
Any drivers you've thought of already? We can suggest some if you haven't.
How loud do you want it to go?
How low do you want it to go (tuning frequency)?
How big is your room? Closed space or open to other areas? House? Apartment?
Do you only want one sub, or are you thinking of multiples?
What are your main speakers? A link would be helpful.

Answering all of these will help us steer you in the direction of (I hope) excellent results.

In the meantime, have a look at Collo's excellent Sonosub software.
total budget should be around $700
Lenght is it realistic to think under 5 feet and diameter under 2 feet.
Driver i read about dayton Titanik MKIII 15 inches looks like an excellent driver but i am open to other suggestion
Tuning frequency around 15

My current room is the living room 13 X 12 but it will be moved to the home theater room once finished which is 13 X 10

I am undecided if i will stick with one or add a second one

Current main speakers are Paradigm CT110 with a HSU STF2 as a second sub .....considering the possibility of building DIY home theater speakers

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have downloaded the software and here the result choosing the Titanik MKIII

Effective volume in litres 260
tuning frequency 15.6
internal sonotube diameter 1'10
internal port diameter 6"

Height from end cap to end cap 4' 1/4
port lenght 2' 5 7/8

gross volume 282
weight 95 pounds
total height 4'11 3/16
cut sonotube to 3' 10 3/4
effective lenght of port 2' 5 1/2
clearance required to tilt into upright position 5' 3 11/16 inches

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For $10 more you could get a Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 that would have better low end output. The port diameter would need to be 6.75" which can be found in Sonotube.

View attachment 21296
Thank you very much i will look it up ...now i am pretty novice at this and it would be my first project as DIY. So is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to build the sonosub and wire the driver properly

Thanks

Alain

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For $10 more you could get a Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 that would have better low end output. The port diameter would need to be 6.75" which can be found in Sonotube.

View attachment 21296
Why when i try to change the port diameter from 6 to 6.75 when i press enter sonosub enter ERR and it does so no matter what number i am trying to enter

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Pat did an excellent job of documenting his builds with pictures, but I would advise against some of the the things he did like flush mounted endcaps and no baseplate. Mike is right, just surf some of the builds on this forum and you will see lots of construction pictures. Sonosub builds are fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Pat did an excellent job of documenting his builds with pictures, but I would advise against some of the the things he did like flush mounted endcaps and no baseplate.

I agree. I remember a sonotube with legs and a Blueprint 1803 sub, the sonotube would literally jump off the floor when producing extreme low frequencies. A base plate would counteract this force and provide stability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts