Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I am new to the world of designing and building subs. Being crazy, I decided to dive in with both feet and order a Mach 5 IXL 18.2.2 woofer from infrasonic.com.au

I have seen a couple of build threads on Sonosub enclosures and thought that they brilliant. So I got the software, and started playing around. Please see below screenshots of the plan I have come up with. I live in Australia, so everything is in metric. Sub will be powered by a Behringer NU3000 amp. I really am new to this stuff so go easy on me if I ask stupid questions. Also, I need to keep within the following parameters:

Tube diameters available (internal)
152mm
204mm
254mm
305mm
356mm
406mm
457mm
508mm
559mm
610mm
660mm
711mm
750mm
812mm
914mm
990mm

These diameters are available for port and actual tube.

I am open to any and all suggestions, feedback and even criticisms.

Cheers,
Whimsic

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Should be an impressive sub, good luck! If you have any questions or need help don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a couple of questions, come to think of it.

If there are any Aussies here, does anyone have experience using formatube for this type of enclosure? Also, how easy is it to cut accurately? The stockist where I live will only sell it in 3m lengths.

Additionally, how will it perform with music? Would I be better off with multiple ports that I can bung to change the tuning?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I used formatube on my sonosub build. Cutting it was just a matter of measuring and making a mark. Then use tape(aluminum or normal) to connect the lines. Then cut the tube with a hack saw or tree saw. Mine was easy to cut. I am sure my cut was not perfect but the end caps made everything line up in the end.

I think I got my shipped from EZYtube. Not sure will have to check. If you are worried about music listening then just get a port blocker and see if you like using it sealed for music. Or you could do a multiple tuned port system.

My sono was a dual opposed sealed. So not quite the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts