Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing around with the idea of possibly having my sonosubs lay on the ground instead of standing them up vertical. I've searched and read where at least one person said it's fine and won't make a difference. Just wanted to get some second opinions on this, and pros and cons if there are any. As always, thanks for the help :bigsmile:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: sonosub on it's side vs. vertical

The only difference it will make is with respect to boundary reinforcement and room mode issues.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the help. Very happy to hear you had a slight increase in performace. Mine are going in a basement with carpet on concrete as well. Looks like this is what I'm going to do.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Wouldn't a box sub design take up less space compared to laying a sonotube on its side?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'd say so. If I stand the tubes up though I will have limited options on placement. However if I can lay them down it gives me more options for my specific situation. I'm sure I'll play around with them up/down and in various spots. Basically I hadn't even considered having them horizontal until the other day so I just wanted to make sure that it's doable before I get too serious about where they are going to go.

My screen is so big and stretches to about 1' from the side wall, so the tubes are too big to put in that corner or even along the wall because they'd get in the projector's light path. But if I can lay one down along that wall it might work out very well and almost be hidden in front of a love seat.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

sounds like a good plan then, I dont see any reason for not going that route if you can hide it behind a coutch.

·
Registered
116 Posts

I wondered about this very thing the other day, I was devoid of any reasons why it could not be done other than it may be impractical vs. just doing a box job at that point.

If you need something low to the floor I just wonder if a coffee table sized build would be in order? Hey you could build three sono's, tie them together and make a raft...yeah that's the ticket. :nerd:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

lol, a raft? now that is just silly.

2x 6 foot long, 2 foot round tubes lying against the walls, now that is a reasonable and down to earth project. :joke:

In all seriousness, the sono is just something to get me by for a while. I will eventually integrate the subs in a stage, coffee table box, or something along those lines.

Oh and BTW, your football coach is a loser :)

·
Registered
116 Posts

Oh and BTW, your football coach is a loser :)
I'll take him. I don't mind if our head coach is an A-hole as long as we are winning big games here in a couple years. We've had this rah rah guy for so long people don't know how to take BP because he's all business like.

People don't think he'll be at Arkansas for very long...I tend to disagree simply because the man loves the SEC. He might get a better SEC job but really I don't think he'll be offered one for about 4 or 5 years.

Recruiting has really picked up for us, way better than Houston Nutt was providing. We are getting kids out of Oklahoma and Texas...might pull one or two out of Kentucky too.

Good luck with your sub project and don't be a hater. :nono:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

People don't think he'll be at Arkansas for very long...I tend to disagree simply because the man loves the SEC.
He loved Louisville/Big East for a couple of years, then he loved the NFL and Atlanta for half a season, and now he loves Arkansas/SEC. :) Nothing personal man, I have no feelings one way or another for Arkansas, probably like you and UofL. But Petrino fed us tons of @#$! about how he loved the city, his kids liked their schools, blah blah, and he bounced right after winning a BCS game. Pretty much every year he was here there was some controversy with him secretly meeting with other schools. Auburn officials flying into a small Southern Indiana airport and driving to Louisville, rumors of him leaving coming out at half time during UofL bowl games, etc. There is no doubt he's a good coach, but as a person, he sucks :) Good luck in the SEC, that's a tough conference.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Found this in the DIY Gallery over on AVS. It's a lounge/sub...weird. I gather dude more or less took the sono idea and laid it down horizontal like. The build thread is archived now but you may be able to get a hold of the builder (gonar) and he could point some stuff out.

Here is some more pix
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q189/baggins_69/

A little weird but who knows...this may be right up your alley. Hey you could put some of Louisville uphostry on that badboy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

lol, wow. yeah i'm not sure about that one :) hey i guess if i did that i could sell my aura bass shakers and get some extra money.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Out of curiousity, how can you have more options for placement laying a sonosub down horizontally but not so by having it vertical? The footprint of a sonosub vertically will be smaller than that of having it laying down horizontally. Is this more for aesthetical purposes?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts