Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to build a sonotube sub. I currently have 2 12' lengths of sonotube, one is 18" diameter and the other is 24".My only dilemma atm is choosing the subs and amp/s. I have looked into a maelstrom-18 w/ep4000 and an sms-1, or 2 eD160v.2s using 2 eD lt.500 plate amps. Both of these setups come out around the same price and just wanted some opinions before I finally pull the trigger. I listen to music/movies 60/40. So I guess the question is what setup will out perform the other. I assume 2 15s would out perform an 18, but I still am unsure at this point if that would be the case with the different amps and sized tube being used.

Also would I need a SSF for the eD subs like I do the mael-x?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have decided to build a sonotube sub. I currently have 2 12' lengths of sonotube, one is 18" diameter and the other is 24".My only dilemma atm is choosing the subs and amp/s. I have looked into a maelstrom-18 w/ep4000 and an sms-1, or 2 eD160v.2s using 2 eD lt.500 plate amps. Both of these setups come out around the same price and just wanted some opinions before I finally pull the trigger. I listen to music/movies 60/40. So I guess the question is what setup will out perform the other. I assume 2 15s would out perform an 18, but I still am unsure at this point if that would be the case with the different amps and sized tube being used.

Also would I need a SSF for the eD subs like I do the mael-x?
Just to save you some cash the ep4000 is equal to the ep2500 in actual output.

They measure the power a different way and rebranded it. You do need a subsonic filter for any ported sub short of a LLT design. Even then I'd suggest it. For eq and filtering I suggest the DCX2496. It does both. And can be used to integrate subs's with your front sound stage. Essentially it gives you a nice upgrade path.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Shown is a Maelstrom-X with 2000 watts compared to 2 160.v2 subs with 1000 watts (each in 11.cu.ft. will have the same output as both in 22 cu.ft.) The E.D. 500 watt amps have a SSF built in. I believe the SMS-1 can provide a SSF for the Maelstrom. The comparison shows the Maelstrom would go lower, but the 160.v2's would go louder as they could handle twice the power as shown.

ED Mael.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you afford dual Mach5 IXL-18s?
I can yes. I never really had a budget in mind, but if I was trying to set one I think I would like to stay around 1500 max.

At first I was looking at buying a couple eD A5-350s but thought it would be more fun to build something instead. I chose a sonotube build because I was able to get 2 12' lengths of the stuff for free. One is 18" the other is 24". I liked the idea of a smaller footprint with the 18" and that is why I looked at the eD160v.2s, but since I am not married yet I can get away with whatever size I want.

I have been a bass head for a long time(if anyone here listens to dubstep you will know what I mean :p).My primary goal here is music, but I also want my house to shake when I am playing Modern warfare 2/watching movies. If anyone thinks 2 15s is not enough and I need to step up to a couple 18s please tell me, I want to try and get this right the first time.

I just needed some opinions on the woofers/amps before I spend any of my hard earned cash. I have never purchased a speaker without hearing it first, so I am being a bit more cautious then normal.

I really want to get everything ordered in a couple weeks so I can have some clean chest pounding bass at my new years party. So any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I can yes. I never really had a budget in mind, but if I was trying to set one I think I would like to stay around 1500 max.

but since I am not married yet I can get away with whatever size I want.

I really want to get everything ordered in a couple weeks so I can have some clean chest pounding bass at my new years party. So any suggestions are appreciated.
Do the dual 18"ers in 24" sonotube. Mike recommends the Mach 5's, so I'm sure you won't go wrong there. I can vouch for the Mal-X, but I think a pair along with amp will be beyond $1500. I :heartbeat: my 18" Mal X (wish my space allowed two!)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts

At first I was looking at buying a couple eD A5-350s but thought it would be more fun to build something instead. I chose a sonotube build because I was able to get 2 12' lengths of the stuff for free. One is 18" the other is 24". I liked the idea of a smaller footprint with the 18" and that is why I looked at the eD160v.2s, but since I am not married yet I can get away with whatever size I want.

I have been a bass head for a long time(if anyone here listens to dubstep you will know what I mean :p).My primary goal here is music, but I also want my house to shake when I am playing Modern warfare 2/watching movies. If anyone thinks 2 15s is not enough and I need to step up to a couple 18s please tell me, I want to try and get this right the first time.

I just needed some opinions on the woofers/amps before I spend any of my hard earned cash. I have never purchased a speaker without hearing it first, so I am being a bit more cautious then normal.

Honestly a Shiva-X build would probably blow you away. An 18" sub is a monster beyond even my excesses at this point. I'd suggest you grab a single 15" axis and build that. It's an ultra-low distortion driver with lot's of headroom. The sealed version a friend has blows people away with clean bass. The ported version would be insane beyond my imagination.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The 24" sonotube I have will work for the mach 5s. Now I just need to know what amp/s. I really would like to stick with plate amps if I can. The eD offerings look good, I just am unsure if the lt/500 will have enough power, if not I can step it up to the LT/1300.

This being my first build I think building 1 and seeing how it turns out before I build the second might be a good idea also.

Any suggestions for tuning? I was thinking 18-20hz.
Any help with length of the sonotube, port size/length.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You have enough 24" sonotube for 2 subs.

The IXL-18 in 12 cu.ft.tuned to 17 hz would work well with a ED 1300 amp. I believe the ED amp has a hi pass filter at 15 hz. Check with ED to make sure. You can use 8" diameter sonotube for a port.

IXL18.JPG

Here are all the dimensions you need to build the sonotube. The leg length on the base should be 5 inches.

sonotube.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Don't throw that sonotube away-you'll likely want it soon enough once you hear to believe how nice your diy sub sounds. If that amp has the hpf built-in, that'll work awesome with that tuning. Lots of helpful build threads in the database for sure:T

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Come on I want to see an Audiopulse Axis tube. :devil:

The entire concept of a tube has my wheels turning. I can see 3 pillars already on my front sound stage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I was to go with a behringer amp is the ep1500 enough for one mach5 or do I need a bigger ep2500? and is there a cheaper SSF then the sms-1 that you can recommend. Thanks again :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
What program is that used above that calculates for tube enclosures? I love it! Ive been thinking of building a sonotube sub with the 18" JBL 2242 that I have been hoarding for a few years.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts