Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Will the whole end cap be glass or just a glass top or what?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I'm not good at explaining what I think so I drew this really ruff sketch on what I'm imagining on doing.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I would love to do something like that but I dont think I will be able to afford an option like that. But even if I could I would have to put some sort of metal grille or metal flyscreen around the "pillar supports," to keep little fingers out.

And did anyone ever tell you, you needed to add nails to the outside into the endcap?

Just wondering because I am going to be starting my build in the next month.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
not sure what you mean by nails? if your talking about nailing the sonotube into the wood on the ends? If so I did that with screws and used lots and lots of glue to make sure its all sealed. Don't forget about bracing def need that for flexing. You should be fine. These things are quite easy to build. You have the Sonosub calculator also right? that thing works really well when designing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Yah I have looked at Mikes links for the volume calcs. I also have seen many different builds but just wanted to make sure I will be putting the endcaps on correctly and they wont be coming appart. PLUS my sono build wont be nearly as tall as most peoples. SO with 2 drivers and a small cabinet I am just figuring I will have to use screws or nails also to keep things into place.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I would recommend screws. with two drivers pushing in a small tube your going to have more than usual vibration and screws wont back out over time. And make sure you have enough bracing for the flex as well. You should be good to go. Can't wait to see your build. Everybody does there's there own style.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I got my glass but there's something more. Since I can't ever keep anything longer than a few months I'm going to incorporate these things into My computer gaming system. Should be pretty epic so I can build something else for my HT sub. I have a stainless steel table top I made for a job that they couldn't use. So they gave it too me and I'm going to make a epic computer desk with it. This is a ruff sketch on what I'm thinking about doing.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Wow thats gonna be one big killer desk.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Man, that's one way to keep'em in the family, firmly anchored to your desk. Looks cool but if you keep the drivers in them your gonna be chasing your office items all over the desk. "Quick catch that mouse!"
I would get a nice t-amp and change drivers to smaller sub and coaxial's for awesome computer speakers. Assuming by your statement your going to re-use the current subs.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Or just get some nice KRK's or other depending on budget that will fit your shelves and then you have a studio monitor setup with a bit more bass. LOL

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
the desk itself is going to have its own feet. this is just a ruff sketch. and the tubes arn't going to be actualy hooked up to the table. I'm cutting the table so they sit half way in and I'm going to run a rubber strip to seperate so I don't go chasing my mouse while gaming lol.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yea I'm going to use the same Subs and amps. I'm going to hook up my two Alesis Monitor 2's with them. power them with a 2 ch amp. pretty much what I have on my HT setup now. then I'm going to focus on building two Line aray's for my HT and TC sound subs with PR's. I'm going to be re doing my whole man cave / Bedroom / loft lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
TLA, SLA, or CBT?

Just curious what you were thinking of for your line array not to say the CBT is one just added that in the mix.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I don't know now lol. I am def not a speaker builder. I've always been DIY subs. and from what this guy is saying I should stick with already designed DIY kits. Do you have any suggestions on what type of towers. they don't have to be line array's. I just thought they would sound good. My budget is around 800 total.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Just honestly depends what you want.....all ears are different.

I have some BFM SLA's for now. I have the parts to make some E-waves but I am also getting ready to make a CBT center channel. I have lots of plans of Klipsch designs also that someday I will build but for now I just have my very friendly budget wise SLA's. My surrounds are not done yet either but they are just a small pair of E-waves using the JBL 6" drivers and selenium CD.

But like I said everyone likes different things.

I cant remember if it was MKtheater or not but someone on this or "the other," forum have massive JBL clones , I believe, for there L/C/R.

Oh and I am definitely NO speaker builder myself. I am getting better but would never sell my stuff to anyone. But its fun making stuff that atleast I can say I built. Although sometimes I would rather not say.:doh::rolleyesno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would love to do something like that but I dont think I will be able to afford an option like that. But even if I could I would have to put some sort of metal grille or metal flyscreen around the "pillar supports," to keep little fingers out.

And did anyone ever tell you, you needed to add nails to the outside into the endcap?

Just wondering because I am going to be starting my build in the next month.

Are you needing to be able to remove the end cap later? If not, you would be using adhesive and would need zero screws or nails...or at most a couple in there if you were worried about holding it in place while the glue dries.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Here is some work. Got the table up, and started on the glass pieces. had to go to my sister company and make two more pieces of glass. I used brass feet for spacers just to show the look I'm going for. I will be using rods for spacers.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Wow ...I will be using an acrylic piece for my top plate. I will have to follow your leg supports for the glass piece.

I dont know what height to use until I do some testing. So I will try and use three different leg heights to hopefully get the correct height.

Did you just glue your legs on for the glass support?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I havnt fully put them on yet. Still debating what to do. More than likley use black 100% silicone to keep them in place. It will stick to the glass good and if i have to i can use a razor to take them off. I am very pleased with the look. Im holding off cause i might frost the glass and put some blue led's on them so they glow for the finishing touch. Im already designing new subz for my HT setup n these are now for my computer lol. Its hard for me to sit back and not build stuff. Lol

61 - 80 of 82 Posts