Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I had (more or less) gotten that far with it. The Sonosub download is what I'm lacking. I'll Google it.

This (WinISD pro) is a great program...thanks as I would not have known about it if it wasn't for all your help!! Thanks very much!

I bought the driver (used)from a friend and am currently working with the manufacturer to determine the exact model and specs.

The Xmax of the driver is the most important spec you need, whether it's 12mm or 22mm makes a big difference in what the driver is capable of for a HT application. You also need to find out if it's D2 or D4 coils, that will determine what amplifier capabilities you need.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
How do I get the specs to build the box (6th order...pink trace) in post #18? It looks perfect; I "only" need the sub to cover from about 60hz and down, and the low pass is adjustable from ~120hz to 45hz.

Is the Xmax the same as maximum excursion (62mm in this case) or suspension travel?? If not, what other name might it have? I guess that it is 4ohm DVC (each coil is 4 ohms so it would be a 2 ohm load wired together or 4 ohm with the + from one coil and the - of the other)...if my nomenclature isn't backward.

One more question (I hope): from whom do I order a high pass filter that covers that range (~16hz)? Most high pass filters I've seen are designed to filter out ~80hz and below.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a bit ahead of yourself with the bandpass, you need to model the drivers capabilities first and see if it's the best for what you need. I'll guess the maximum excursion (62mm in this case) is both ways (peak to peak) and is the mechanical limits of the driver. One way would be 31 mm, Xmax would be 20 mm. Of course this is a complete assumption, hopefully you can obtain the proper information from the manufacturer.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
That seems logical. IF I can find Sonotube locally I may experiment with that. There's a DD dealer who have a bandpass box designed for the driver, but it kind of defeats the DIY part...even though it would work well.

Thanks

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I've acquired a bandpass enclosure designed for this particular driver; a quick test with a Blu Ray (Battlefield LA) confirms that it's loud and low! For now I'm pleased. I'll also put the enclosure specs into Winisd to get an idea as to what the curve looks like (and if I need to modify it), but I plan on using a test disc and SPL meter to see the actual response.
Thanks to all for their help!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.