Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi, i've had a sony dav-dz280 for about two years now. not long after i got it, it began to act up. it wouldn't turn back on if i turned it off, i'd have to unplug it to get it to work. yesterday i turned it on and after about 5 minutes it cut out. i turned it on today and it did the same. none of the cables are damaged neither are they shorting out. i was just wondering if anyone might know what's wrong and how to fix it. many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lcaillo, it's a sony home theatre system. but since i posted that message i've found the problem to be a burn't out component on the power supply board

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What component? There are typically two reasons for a burned component in a PS. One is a short elsewhere in the unit, the other is a power surge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there's a code on the board under it which is: IC921 , and on the component which is: B1098
MR4020
i think the second code is right. the code is quite badly worn off from overheating.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A MR4020 is a voltage regulator IC, likely in the standby supply. It could be a random failure or caused by something else. Check the circuit that it supplies for a low resistance and check the related caps.

As in all repairs, get the service manual and only attempt testing and repair if you understand the hazards and have the right equipment.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your post has been moved to a more appropriate location to make information easier to find and to make it more likely that others who are interested will find your post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your help lcaillo, but i've bought a yamaha yht-298 so the receiver will be useless so i'm dumping the receiver out. not worth the effort. (not that there is any! i'm only 17 and i can't be bothered to fix it). cheers for all you're replys and help.:bigsmile:!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts