Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony is predicting a comeback for virtual reality

Sony Vice President Mike Hocking was quoted this week in a video interview as saying that we now have the technology to make virtual reality work, and that it could make a comeback.

This ties into Sony’s recent reveal of an in-progress virtual reality headset at the Consumer Electronics Show 2011 in Las Vegas. There’s no further information yet available about Sony’s HMD (head mounted display) device, but it’s becoming clear that Sony is putting its weight behind the technology. “Another thing that’s coming back which I’m very excited is the notion of virtual reality,” said Hocking in the video interview.

“So we have our new HMD – or head-mounted display – which was announced at CES earlier this year, and you can see that we can now get back to where we really wanted to get with virtual reality in the ’80s. “We’ve now got the power to do it, we’ve got the screen resolution to do it, we’ve got the processing power to update fast enough so we can have very immersive experiences on head-mounted displays in gaming in the not too distant future.

“Being in a virtual world where I can see my virtual hands or a virtual gun with all the things we can do in the gaming world is going to be absolutely amazing,” Hocking continued. Though Sony has been focusing on advancing 3D technology lately, it’s clear they’re already thinking about the next big thing.

Source: VG24/7

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
With all the differing of opinions on 3D based purely around the wearing of glasses, I am not so convinced this technology would be that popular. The gaming market is a little more lenient though so I may be wrong.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Sony maybe getting ahead of themselves here, they won the format war...cool, they pushed 3D and got a lukewarm reception at best and now here they are talking about VR. A famous quote comes to mind at this point in time, "Keep it simple". VR are they kidding they haven't worked out all the bugs out of 3D gaming yet and now their looking at VR sorry Sony it's a great concept but it won't translate well into the real world of gaming and if you have any doubts ask Nintendo how VR worked out for them.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I'm with you really, although a 3D VR headset with built in surround sound does have certain appeal. If they can get it spot on and at a sensible price, it might get a few people on board. Imagine those of us with limited access to our main systems, or kids in bedrooms, and imagine access to what is effectively a massive cinema screen, in 3D, with full digital surround at headphone quality, and there is an attraction for me personally.

As with all things, the idea is awesome, but will people go for it. Honestly, if its spot on like I said before, I think I would. I could even see me paying upto say £400 for such a headset, but it would have to be really spot on.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed it would have to perform well right out of the gate for me to even consider it, if you have kids you pretty much have limited access to the main due to them wanting to watch cartoons on the large screen. As you have stated they would have to be spot on the PQ and AQ would have to top notch because if either one of these are off it would soon become a paperweight.

The one thing that wasn't specified is if it would be a stand-alone or an accessory for PS3 or the next-gen console, I'll make the assumption that it would be a stand-alone till there's more info and if that's the case that will bring a new set of issues in terms of games such as support from 3rd parties because if we have learned anything from gaming history is no 3rd party support the tech is doomed to fail.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I cant see it being stand alone personally. For an idea of how I think it would work, take a look at the control pad for the WiiU.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a video from IGN take a look

I like the question would you wear this in public? My answer is no I don't want to make myself a target to get mugged because I'm not paying attention to my surroundings, can you imagine what it would be like with people walking around with this thing on, most can't walk an use a cell phone or Ipod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts