Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heating problem had previously developed, it showed 5 blinks of the power light then nothing.
in-depth net searches showed a factory authorized recall letter regarding the igniter - which was utilized to replace the melted components... However, the set came home from the ASC, and was put into service.
It would stay lit up approx 45 minutes and then shut down - showing 6 blinks of the power light.

In about 30 minutes, it could be re-started and would repeat the same problem.

I've been searching for a on-line service manual and can't find anything... (at least not for free - which is understandable.) Any chance someone can check on the "6 blink" trouble code for me?

It looks like SONY is being prettty good about this, but it is a 130 km drive to the ASC.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I do not understand what you mean by the igniter, and utilized to replace melted compnents. What exactly (part numbers and Sony descriptions) did they do, and what is the exact model number?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying,
Sorry for my scrambled post - I was trying quickly.
The model of the particular tv is a 42we620.

the offer for limited warrentty extension is found here
and applied to the xxWE620 family as well as to the xxWE610 family as well.

it is also referred to as the Lamp Power Supply Driver.

The owner of the set can't hear any fans running on the television, so he (and I) are suspecting a thermal issue causing a shutdown - which may have been the initial issue with the set in the first place.

the parts that were replaced included a couple of melted components in the tv as well as the front inner panel as it had warped as well.

I'll get the P.N.'s of the parts that were replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
parts that were replaced are:
X-2021-833-1 (bottom cabinet)
X-204810033
A-1127154A (thermal fuse kit)
178746011 (Fan).

the remark on the W.O indicated ""lamp box warped".

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
6x is 17v over-voltage protect.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha, I had my e-mails open and got this.

The fella is wondering if it is worth pursuing repairing this display, knowing it is a lamp-type.

What would cause the trouble code and where would one start to look to find the offending component?
He has indicated that the display did successfully show a picture for 2 forty-five minute periods prior to shutting down and dis[playing the diagnostic trouble codes.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Over-current usually means the supply is low. Could be a defect in the 17v supply, a load on it, or a bad connection. It will take some troubleshooting to sort it out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well aside from the usual wiggling of connections, we (he) may not be able to do a whole lot of troubleshooting.
(not great news, considering we are both electrical technicians - high voltage power transmission and distribution though).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He ordered a new G1 board, we installed it and it worked - for two hours ...
then it shut itself down and once again showed the 6 blinks trouble code.

it is odd that it will function correctly for an hour, then shut down... this (in my oppinion) points to a likely thermal issue. The original w/o indicated a thermal link was replaced, but they didn't say which one/where it was located, they were also displeased with the fact that we attempted to troubleshoot it ahead of time prior gto dropping it off and don't seem to want to stand behind their work anymore. They are entitled to conduct their business however they wish, so I can't sling any mud about that one, but it would be terrific if there was anyone who could confirm that a thermal issue might cause the same trouble code on this set.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A "thermal issue" would not normally cause an over-voltage condition. The problem needs careful troubleshooting that goes beyond the guessing that we can do here. If it was my job, I would have the set in the shop and make some careful checks to see what is really going on.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, I'm from a technical field and I believe troubleshooting with codes and nothing else isn't necessarily the way to solve problems.
I find it strange that the display will function for approx 1 hour at a time prior to it shutting itself down though. I guess a high voltage condition could take a while to manifest itself though, as I'm familiar with thermal runaway on some transistor circuits. needless top say, we have tried the authorized Sony repair procedure and they aren't interested in continuing to repair it on the same work order. I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to chase ghosts for free either.
With the G1 Board core exchange, he's into this set for over 100 dollars already - and it's not leading edge technology anymore so I'd prefer to see him cut his losses and turf the set, but he and I both have this nagging doubt that keeps saying "what if you just missed something obvious...."
I have noted that there is a new thermal cutout installed, and the old one was just left in place with it's wires tied off. This was also why I was suspect of the cut-out and still anticipating a thermal related issue. We are trying to do a thorough optical block cleaning and are delving deeper in to the light engine to try to clean the 3rd as-of-yet uncleaned fan. I'm expecting to find some sort of air filter within, but we haven't yet found one. This tv is likely within 2 - 3 days of a trip to the landfill site.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The thermal sensor has nothing to do with the 17v line, IIRC. I assume the 17v line is produced on the board replaced? If so, then some problem in the diagnostic circuit, maybe a leaky steering diode causing a false activation? Just guesssing...like I said, I'd have it on the bench checking some things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts