1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
414 Posts
The only thing it needs now is that netflix thing, where you pay like 10-20$ a month to get unlimited digital movies

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I have not been buying movies like I did when I first got into DVD several years back. Netflix has been a wonderful way for us to enjoy bluray movies on our PS3! I also highly recommend Netflix!

·
Registered
414 Posts
What i meant was this.

My dad told me about this, and said he wont get a PS3 because it probably wont support this feature.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The problem is not everyone has the financial capabilities to go out and buy all the new blu ray movies out there. Secondly, even most of the rental companies out there dont carry a huge blu ray selection, so renting is difficult to.

Although true it is best, its still not extremely accessible.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have used your PS3 as a blu-ray device, you would not have much interest in the instant netflix thing. it has SD DVD quality at best
I disagree. There are many, many movies out there that I don't need blu-ray quality. Documentaries are the first that come to mind, old classics that were before my time, 80's movies. These are the type of movies that I don't feel like I'm gaining anything if I get them HD.

With an 8mb connection Netflix streaming can give you 720p. No dolby digital though. : /
And PS3 will have netflix streaming. Only a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I disagree. There are many, many movies out there that I don't need blu-ray quality. Documentaries are the first that come to mind, old classics that were before my time, 80's movies. These are the type of movies that I don't feel like I'm gaining anything if I get them HD.
This may be your personal preference but there are lots of movies that have been re released form the 80's that look amazing on BluRay The lethal weapon series comes to mind or Top Gun for example look and sound far better than the SD DVD ever did.
Have you seen the new Planet earth series on BluRay? You will change your mind about wanting to see documentaries on SD after seeing them.
I dont think the Netflix streaming will catch on unless you dont have an HD capable display.

·
Registered
155 Posts
O ya, I'm not saying nothing is worth it. Any good action for sure. I'm saying there are alot that don't matter. IMO the best movies out there are the best because of quality of the work not the quality of the picture. I watch tons of movies that are not even available in bluray via netflix streaming. (Tons of Indie stuff)

Not only will it catch on, it has caught on. Netflix is rumored to soon offer streaming only service because, of the demand. Boxee resently blocked Hulu at the networks request because it is circumventing to many advertisement views. (Why would I pay for TV if I can get it for free?) Many said the HDDVD BluRay battle was pointless. Everything is moving to streaming. Hulu, abc.com, they may not be HD yet but, they will be. I predict that streaming video will be to BluRay as DVD was to VHS!

I am a card carrying geek and get into the bleeding edge tech. I kinda get into this stuff knowing that it's an underdog with limitations but, you have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Netflix turn around has been above reproach for us, and we rent mostly Blu-ray discs that we watch on our PS3-80. It seems to me they have a winning formula already.

db

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Well I just bit the bullet and picked up a slim PS3 from Dell on sale below the $299 price plus 15% cash back from Bing with free shipping. Blue Ray discs are still too expensive though. I'll be using it primarily for games until disc prices come down.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Steve, not sure what pricing you're looking for with blu-rays, but there are sales all the time for blu-rays that are worthy enough of a look. I've seen titles on sale as low as $10 already.

Fry's Electronic, if you have one nearby, has sales weekly with deals varying in price.

Amazon is still a great place to buy movies, too.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

With an 8mb connection Netflix streaming can give you 720p. No dolby digital though. : /
And PS3 will have netflix streaming. Only a matter of time.
Many documentaries have been produced in HD for years because it was cheaper than film, and directors of docs are less likely to be hung up on having a "film look." Assuming that you don't want more than DVD quality may be shortchanging yourself on some documentaries. As usual, it depends...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Steve, I certainly see your point. HD-DVDs are certainly cheap to purchase nowadays and if I had my HD-DVD player anymore, I would likely buy them, too. I just have a hard time convincing myself to buy regular DVDs when I cannot stand watching them anymore. High definition media, HD-DVDs and Blu-rays have really spoiled me.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Netflix is now available on the PS3. I received an email a while back from Sony/Netflix. Unfortunatly it's not an available feature in Canada. With the 3.0 firmware release some other media content has been disabled if you do not live in the USA.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
For a long period of time, the PS3 was the cheapest Blu Ray Player available at 600 Dollars. I absolutely love my launch 60 gb version. I was really disappointed that newer versions omitted the Emotion Engine (PS2 chip) that allowed for full backwards compatibility. Strange considering BC was considered a core value of the Playstation platform. Then again, with the launch unit costing 840 Dollars wholesale to manufacture and the EE chip being one of the most expensive components in the PS3, I understand why they took it out considering the Billions that Sony was losing at launch.

However, to also take away SACD playback and the Memory Card readers really started to hurt. Then again prices did go down and now we have the PS3 Slim which allows bitstreaming of True HD and DTS-MA.

I still love my 60 gb PS3. I have not watched a BD on it in at least a year and a half. But, I do use it as a giant Ipod and occasional SACD Player and Game Console.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmmm....

I have always been an Xbox / Nintendo guy...

But I now need a media streamer and the PS3 would give me bluray vs. an Xbox 360.

After research, I see a console option (360 / PS3) or a Dell Zino, or a Popcorn hour C-200.

What to do??? I never thought I would be complaining for too many choices...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts