Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I'm in process of building out my home theater room and it's down to that all important equipment time. I've been considering a Sony HW50ES, but I'm hesitant due to my 120" screen. The room will have little to no ambient light, so I'm confident that on a smaller screen it wouldn't be an issue. Does anyone have any input?

I've also found one for about 1K less than retail. It's a floor demo that was sent in for repairs. The listing says it was overheating, but has had all of the "innards" replaced. Would you feel comfortable purchasing a projector under those circumstances? Looking forward to the input and the inevitable debate that follows!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would make sure the bulb was also replaced.
It would have to be a factory repair (ie Sony) that passed all tests.
It would have to have a pretty good warranty (factory refubs usually do)

If it was the PJ that I would like to own, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Awesome projector. I bought one a couple months ago. I have a 120" 1.1 gain 16:9 and the projector is 18.5' from the screen. Plenty bright in my light controlled HT in eco mode. I found a lightly used one in a private sale and it has been excellent. I would not be afraid of a used copy that has been repaired by the factory as long as there is warranty remaining. Sony offers three years standard and it is fully transferable so two years still left on mine.

JD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts