Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SCD-CE595 won't read SACD's or hybrids. It will read red book CD's. I've cleaned the lens. I see the lens light up red. I presume the laser is ruby type.

Can this issue be fixed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It won't read. The player behaves like the disc doesn't exist.

Yesterday I discovered that the laser is part of what's called the "optical block". They can be bought from Asian suppliers but are expensive. Like about the cost of the whole player itself when it was new.
Conclusion: I need a new optical block because they do fail (read numerous other threads on the web about this). I won't buy one because it's not worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It won't read. The player behaves like the disc doesn't exist.

Yesterday I discovered that the laser is part of what's called the "optical block". They can be bought from Asian suppliers but are expensive. Like about the cost of the whole player itself when it was new.
Conclusion: I need a new optical block because they do fail (read numerous other threads on the web about this). I won't buy one because it's not worth the cost.
Get a Sony bdp-s590 they are cheap, do sacd via hdmi and they play bluray also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a BDP-S480 and tried it with my preamp, but the preamp doesn't have HDMI, only USB. Tried that, but it didn't work. I now have the service manual and there's some diagnostics in it I'm going to try to see if a simple run thru of those straightens out the problem.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've got a BDP-S480 and tried it with my preamp, but the preamp doesn't have HDMI, only USB. Tried that, but it didn't work. I now have the service manual and there's some diagnostics in it I'm going to try to see if a simple run thru of those straightens out the problem.
If I recall correctly spdif does not pass sacd only RCA, multichannel out, and some hdmi do.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
It sounds like the Laser for SACD (DSD) is shot. This happened to me on my Sony 400 DVD Changer. If you have an HDMI 1.2 onwards AVR/SSP, it really is worth it to get an SACD Player that offers HDMI Output as SACD over HDMI sounds fantastic.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes there are still a few SACD players out there (the S590 was mentioned). You don't have to spent $500 at Oppo to get one (although there are plenty of great reasons to do that anyway). Lasers fail...it happens. And yes, Toslink doesn't output SACD but it can do the Redbook CD layer that's found on many SACDs (of course, that's not listening to SACD).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts