Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have noticed that there does not seem to be an Owners Thread for Sony's SXRD RPTV's.
These Models include: From earliest to latest
Sony Qualia 006
Sony KDS-R50/60 XBR1
Sony KDS-50/55/60 A2000
Sony KDS-R50/60 XBR2
Sony KDS-50/55/60 A2020
Sony KDS-50/55/60 A3000

I own the KDS-55A3000 that today had the Optical Board replaced. While covered under Sony's Extended Warranty for OB's, it was still a huge disappointment as the OB for the A3000 Series was supposed to be redesigned and was supposed to fix the OB problems that caused Class Action Lawsuits with earlier models over OB Failures.

I will say that failures on the A3000 Series have been far fewer than on the older Models, but there have been a handful that have failed.

Beyond the OB issues, I absolutely love my A3000 and truly think it is the best Display I have ever owned. At one point, the KDS-55A3000 had the highest rating of any set tested on Cnet. (was lowered from 8.5 to 7.7 to account for Samsung Set tested later on) The A3000 offered close to perfect Color Decoding (6500 Kelvin) out of the box which is an exceedingly rare thing. The earlier Models could be made to have
textbook Color Decoding, but required an ISF Technician to do so. The A3000 still needed a little tweaking, but was very close to 6500 Kelvin out of the box. These Displays also featured excellent Black Levels and many other great attributes.

Here are some Professional Reviews of SXRD Displays:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?article_id=810&page_number=1
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-r...-hdtvs/sony-qualia-006-70-inch-sxrd-hdtv.html
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/directviewandptvtelevisions/705sony/
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-r...ony-kds-55a3000-55-inch-bravia-sxrd-hdtv.html
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/rearprojectiontvs/407sonyr70xbr2/
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/rearprojectiontvs/407sonyr70xbr2/
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/rearprojectiontvs/1206sonykdsr60xbr2/
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdtvs/1767/sony-kds-60a2000-60-inch-sxrd-hdtv.html
http://hcc.techradar.com/node/6691
http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Sony_...Sony+KDS-55A3000&tag=feed&part=ecoustics-cnet
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-r...hdtvs/sony-kds-r70xbr2-70-inch-sxrd-hdtv.html
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-r...hdtvs/sony-kds-r70xbr2-70-inch-sxrd-hdtv.html
I realize many Owners of the earlier Models have had to contend with multiple failures, but it seems many are operating well after repair.

So, if there are any other SXRD Owners out there, I would love to hear from you and hear your experiences with these troubled, but exceptional Displays.
Sony still makes SXRD Front Projectors that are thought to be some of the best on the market. It really is a tragedy that this technology was beset with problems that ruined many Owners experience as this really was a promising technology at great prices for the screen size.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
One of the dealers that I do service work for sold dozens of these sets. Luckilly they did not start selling them until after the xbr1. While I have done several light engine replacements for xbr1s, I have only seen one of the later sets that needed one, and it was not the same issue that the early sets had with discoloration, but a problem on the circuit board on the light engine. IME, the later sets have been very reliable and very different from the early ones.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
That is good to hear. From all I have read OB failures on the A-3000 Series is exceedingly rare. It really was a tragedy when Sony stopped producing SXRD RPTV's as they received some of the best reviews of any technology.

The A3000 Series was initially going to be priced at $3000, $3300 and $3500 for the 50, 55, and 60 A3000 models. However, by the time the reached retailers, Sony had abandoned SXRD RPTV's and dumped the A3000's for insane prices.

Sony had also made and displayed the KDS-Z70XBR5 that looked amazing. It was the Display I was going to buy and waited for it until they announced it was never going to see the light of day. Really is a shame as the last generation had almost perfect color decoding without Service Menu adjustment.

To this day, there is no other Display I would rather have than my KDS-55A3000. My next move will be an SXRD Projector. The current SXRD PJ's are considered some of the finest available.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
I to own the kds-55a3000 and I to have had problems. About a year ago the FB1A VGA HDMI INPUT BOARD went out. My warranty was expired so I let it sit for a month until I finally called a certified sony tech who diagnose the problem, for a fee, the end bill to have him fix it was $1800. Well I couldnt see paying that even if I had it. So I got the part # from him, ordered it on line along with the tech manual, and fix it myself for $150.
I build PC's, wich is easy comparred to this, but I was succesful.
I loved this set and was so dissapointed when it went out, now that i did the DIY route I feel confident that I can fix SOME problems that may arrise.
I am assuming that the Optical board issues are a different issue then what I had. Seperate board all together. Is there anyone who can confirm this for me?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There is no "optical board." The light engine is known as the "optical block" and contains the optics, SXRD device, and related electronics to control it and interface with the rest of the electronics and the lamp supply.

Do you currently have a problem? I am not clear on what you are trying to discover.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
On the A3000 Series, HDMI Board failures have been really rare. In fact, this is the first time I have read of that issue. A small number of Optical Block/Light Engines have gone out. However, the numbers have been greatly reduced compared to earlier versions.

Nicely done repairing the HDMI Board DIY.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
No Im not having any current issues. I had found this thread and was wondering what "the OB" ,Or as some here had called it "optical board" was just so I may know what it is IF it ever fails.
I believe you guys have answered that for me. Thank you guys

I Just took my time reading over the tech manual, wich was well written/illustrated by the way, and familiarizing myself with the insides. My biggest concern was the wiring harness. I took alot of pictures. I remember thinking "just my luck", when I saw where the FB1A board was located. at the absolute bottom of the pile of all the other boards.:D

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Do you have some details on that $1800 estimate? This is the kind of thing that many servicers don't realize goes on as much as it does. It is a large reason that so many people end up DIYing and it really gives the service industry a black eye. I'd like to use it as an example...

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah I will see if I can dig up his estamate/bid. It was a little over a year ago. I think I paid $98 for his house call diagnosis. I didnt have a problem with paying it. I just couldnt see paying that much for a tv that I paid $2000 for.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello,
I am glad again that you were able to fix your A3000 for a reasonable amount. I honestly love my A3000 and want for nothing as far as my Display goes. It truly has one of the best pictures of any TV ever made.

SXRD really is a fantastic technology. It really is a disaster that the OB's, especially on the XBR1's have been so problematic. SXRD is still going strong in Front Projectors where they truly are considered some of the finest made. However the OB issues turned many people off the Technology.

As far as SXRD RPTV's, the A3000's truly had it all. HDMI 1.3, almost textbook Color Decoding out of the box when Warm 2 is selected, 120 Hz Processing, and so much more. Several reviews found it to be one of the best Displays out there regardless of Technology. (Plasma, LCD, etc) Cnet initially gave it an 8.5 which is one of their highest Ratings ever. It was reduced to a 7.7 for reasons which make no sense to me and many. The KDS-60A3000 also placed 3rd in the 2008 Home Theater Magazine HDTV Shootout. When the Test was conducted, the Picture Mode they Calibrated to was not even capable for full resolution. A Firmware Update has since rectified this and HT Magazine made note of the issue in their Review, but said it would not have changed their findings. A Panasonic Plasma finished 2nd and a Pioneer Kuro finished 1st.

While OB failures have been greatly reduced with the A3000's, unfortunately my OB recently failed and the right side of my Screen was turning Green. It was replaced promptly and covered by Sony. I also have an Extended Warranty for another 3 Years.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,
I am glad again that you were able to fix your A3000 for a reasonable amount. I honestly love my A3000 and want for nothing as far as my Display goes. It truly has one of the best pictures of any TV ever made.

SXRD really is a fantastic technology. It really is a disaster that the OB's, especially on the XBR1's have been so problematic. SXRD is still going strong in Front Projectors where they truly are considered some of the finest made. However the OB issues turned many people off the Technology.

As far as SXRD RPTV's, the A3000's truly had it all. HDMI 1.3, almost textbook Color Decoding out of the box when Warm 2 is selected, 120 Hz Processing, and so much more. Several reviews found it to be one of the best Displays out there regardless of Technology. (Plasma, LCD, etc) Cnet initially gave it an 8.5 which is one of their highest Ratings ever. It was reduced to a 7.7 for reasons which make no sense to me and many. The KDS-60A3000 also placed 3rd in the 2008 Home Theater Magazine HDTV Shootout. When the Test was conducted, the Picture Mode they Calibrated to was not even capable for full resolution. A Firmware Update has since rectified this and HT Magazine made note of the issue in their Review, but said it would not have changed their findings. A Panasonic Plasma finished 2nd and a Pioneer Kuro finished 1st.

While OB failures have been greatly reduced with the A3000's, unfortunately my OB recently failed and the right side of my Screen was turning Green. It was replaced promptly and covered by Sony. I also have an Extended Warranty for another 3 Years.
Cheers,
JJ

All the reviews and what I saw for my own eyes in the showroom where exactly why I bought it. I hope I havnt offended any one with my tale of wo. I hope I dont have to by another set for some time to come. I love my Sony. and as you I dont want for anything else ( well maybe an OPPO BDP-83SE)!!! How do you like your BDP-83 by the way? I have the OPPO 980H as well and cant see getting rid of it EVER.

I owe all who have read my previous posts an apology. I was mistaken on the amount that I was quoted by the service tech who bid on my repair work. The amount was NOT $1800. It was a total of $784.02. I believe what happened was I got the amount confused with some repair work we had estimated on my work truck at about the same time. I ended up fixing that myself as well.
So all apology's to any one I may have worried with my miss information.
Thank you guys and I will frequent this thread in the future for some calibration advice. Or just to talk about what we have in common, The Sony KDS-55A3000!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What was the estimate for, precisely? Just state the facts. If you stick to facts the forum has more credibility. If you post generalities and exaggerations, no one benefits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What was the estimate for, precisely? Just state the facts. If you stick to facts the forum has more credibility. If you post generalities and exaggerations, no one benefits.
Yes I agree. I should have dug up the paper work I had filed away and confirmed the price before posting anything. That was irresponsible of me. But I hope that you believe me when I say it was not intentional.

The work order for the in home diagnosis, witch is all I have, states "mid assembly FB1A board failure". The in home diagnosis cost $103.46....At the time of his visit he could not tell me the total cost. As I recall, and my wife, He didn't know the part # and didn't have access to that information.
He called back, witch is why I don't have a hand written "estimate" only a quote over the Phone, that evening and quoted the price of $784.08 for the PART, and the LABOR to install it.
He said that he would apply the amount we paid for the in home diagnosis as a deduction towards the total of $784.08...reducing the balance ( if we contracted him to do the repair) to $680.62...I wrote all this down on the original Work Order from his in home Diagnosis.
He was very professional and was help full in giving us a complete description of the part as well as the part number when we asked for it. By that time we had already decided to TRY and fix it ourselves.

I hope this helps, and I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
So even with a nice markup on the board, you were going to be charged about $400 for a couple of service trips and labor? How long did it take him to diagnose it and how long did it take you to change the board?

·
Registered
19 Posts
He was at my house on the first and only trip for no more than 1 1/2 hours. he had another person with for training purposes. But he did not give me the diagnosis at that time he needed to refer to additional
information at his shop to complete an estimate on the total cost. How much time He spent doing that I can not speculate.
It took me the better part of 6 hours to do the job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So even with a nice markup on the board, you were going to be charged about $400 for a couple of service trips and labor? How long did it take him to diagnose it and how long did it take you to change the board?
That would be a very nice markup on the board. $384.08 by my calculations.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am being very generous. What I am getting at is that estimates like these are what drive people away from professionals and to DIY repairs. Many servicers are very arrogant about this, but as I see it, you have a repair that should have been about $150 labor, plus two service trips, plus a modest profit on the part, and the whole thing should have been a lot less than the nearly $800 you were given as an estimate. If I was doing the job, the whole thing would have been under $500. That may have still been too much for you, but many people would likely have it done, where at $800 no one with any sense would spend that much on a set like this.

Sevicers complain all the time about DIYers, while at the same time pricing their services beyond the value that the market will sustain. It is simple business really. You have to understand what your services are worth and price accordingly if you want the business.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have preferred to have it done by a pro. There is piece of mind in that. I think that this type of DIY can, and may very often, be dangerous. Electricity, as I'm sure you know is nothing to take lightly. In many respects I feel I got lucky.
I agree with you, I was a general contractor for many years. I still work in the field from time time. I always felt you should build on your reputation first and foremost. The quick buck attitude I saw in my profession never proved to be a long lasting business model. If I was fair, I had a customer who would return as well as recommend me to others. Just common sense. Quality, volume, And a long term business plan.
Thank you, Bobby

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The truth is that in most cases with reasonable care, these kinds of repairs are pretty easy to do safely. One should never attempt a DIY repair, however if not confident in what needs to be done and how to be safe about it.

Sorry you had a bad experience with a "professional" but happy you got it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own the KDS-50A2000 and am still very happy with it. My wife and I picked it up soon after they came out. We were moving from a small duplex to our house and the smaller lcd wasn't going to cut it anymore. It has seen alot of use between satellite, blu-ray movies, and gaming. The only thing I have had to do is change the bulb once.

I have had the upgrade itch but the boss lady refuses to scratch that one right now.....lol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts