Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a Sony KDP-51WS550 TV that is having problems and I want to help him fix it. After having the TV on for about an hour it will turn itself off. Later, after it cools down, the TV will sometimes turn back on after pushing power 3 times, but will sometimes require a days wait before turning back on.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Power supply measurements, applying heat and cooloing would be the places to start.

Your post has been moved to the Sony forum to maintain forum organization and to make information easier to find.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Get a service manual with a schematic, note the voltages at the various supplies, and measure them with a multimeter. Better even to monitor them with a scope. Heating and cooling various areas may be needed to narrow down the problem. Observation and experience are needed to determine where the problem may be. I cannot tell you specifially where to look nor what to look for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a friends TV so I don't want to spend a bunch of time on it or the money for a schematic. I'm hoping that someone has repaired a similar type problem in the past and has an better idea of what could be the problem. I thought that it was maybe just a fan that went out or something.

Any more thoughts from someone would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There are lots of places that you can find free service manuals. Some of them are suggested in the stickies in the DIY Repair area.

It is hard to do much without the right documentation. As a professional, I won't even bother doing a service call until I have the right service literature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.