Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Following is a hands-on review of the Sony VPL-VWPRO1.

This 2-D projector has a MSRP of $3395, a native resolution of 1080p (1920x1080), a contrast rating of 85,000:1, a brightness estimate of 1300 lumens, includes vertical and horizontal lens shift, a zoom lens ratio of 1.6:1, utilizes LCos technology or as Sony calls it: SXRD, weighs 22.1 lbs and includes a 2 year parts and labor warranty. If you're interested in its in-depth technical specs, you might want to try Google. This is simply a subjective review, based on my on viewing perceptions and proclivities. This review includes a minor comparison with my previous projector, an InFocus IN-83. Some of you may be aware that Sony also sells this same projector as the Sony VPL-HW20. The only difference I'm aware of is that this projector includes a spare replacement lamp in the box. I use this projector mainly for watching Blu-Rays, DVD's, DirectTV, Sports, Netflix streaming, and other internet media related applications.

First impression: I love it! The skin tones, the ease of setup, the bright 1080p picture and the sharpness projected are simply breathtaking. On further inspection, I have noticed that straight out of the box, the color calibration is not as accurate as my In-83, nor is it as bright. However not many projectors can stand up to the IN-83 in color accuracy and brightness. In those areas, the In-83 excels. Unfortunately, the In-83 has been retired, due to its lack of lens-shift, it simply would not work correctly in my current viewing environment and the perfection of its cinematic picture will be sorely missed.

After some initial calibration: The Sony's picture quality is amazing. My new theater is located in the great-room area of the garden-level basement. Other than the outer walls, the projector is viewed in an open environment, along with a 60" LCD over the fireplace, alongside the distraction of a pool table and a built-in bar. I do utilize black-out shades on occasion, but so far I've been impressed with the brightness and dynamic picture being displayed on my Stewart Film Firehawk 106" 1:78 projection screen. Blu-rays maintain a cinema quality, almost film-like. My DirectTV is only 1080i, but the picture quality is sharp and sweet. Netflix is up-scaled by my HTPC to 1080i as are all network storage and internet-content. I'm quite pleased with the results. I have been known to play XBox on the screen and the picture is both immersive and vivid. What's the since of owing a big-screen like this if you're not gonna watch sports? Well, sports displayed by this projector are quite impressive. I haven't noticed very much motion blur and I run the projector with motion blur technology in the off position. Black-levels are also a surprise. I was expecting decent black projection, but this projector exceed my expectations. The black are noticeably better than my previous InFocus. I also love the picture's depth, sharpeness and the crisp whites, as well as the beautiful skin tones. All in all, I'm excited and happy with my purchase. I did pay less than the advertised price--under $3000, but negotiations are always up to the buyer. My suggestion, if you are technical skilled at all, then order your projector online at the lowest internet price and from a supplier you trust. If you possess few skills in installing this type of equipment, then purchase locally and negotiate a good price for the projector as well as installation. All in all, I rate this projector a 9 out of ten on my perfection scale. The only thing missing would be 3-D, but currently the cost exceeds the capabilities for such equipment. Until the price drops as well as the requirement for 3-D glasses, I'll continue to enjoy the beautiful picture of this amazing projector!:sn:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Nice review. I think this will be my new PJ. I can get it for a good price and it seems like it will work well in my room. Just waiting on the tax man to send me my refund and I will place my order. Hopefully next week sometime. If anyone knows of a good place and price to buy I am open to suggestions even though I think the place I found is pretty good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best price I've seen for this projector is around $2500. Unfortunately, that supplier doesn't have any left. The average current price is around $2775. I paid just under $3000, but as always, earlier adopters pay more. Not sure what you can locate one for yourself, but hopefully, it beats the above prices. I love mine, but still believe there are other great projectors out there. JVC has a new reasonably priced 3-D model and I still like the Epson 9700UB because of the quality you get for the money. Whichever you decide on, you'll be happy. All the new projectors are excellent. Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am seriously thinking about getting this projector. I will be using it with a 100" screen in a fairly light controllable area. I may have to use some of its horizontal lens shift as my ceiling height is only about 7 feet. My room is 19 feet wide the screen is right in the middle of that wall. Is it possible to mount this projector about 1 or 2 feet off the side wall of my room. ????

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
My cieling is only 7' high also so we are in the same boat on that one. I hope to order this next week if uncle Sam sends my refund which is already overdue....IMO. :foottap:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Sony VPL-VWPro1 Projector does provide for horizontal lens shift, as well as vertical. However, not sure if you can place it just off a side wall. My suggestion is to go ask a dealer who installs these projectors on a regular basis. I installed mine myself and I always prefer to have the projector horizontally centered on the screen. I try not to use lens shift unless necessary. My general policy is the less you screw around with the image, the better. But, I realize you have to do what you must to accommodate your room requirements.

Sony quotes, in their manual a maximum of 31 - 7/8 inches above the center of a 100" screen, which is about 49.5 inches high, so top of the screen is about 24.3 inches above the center of the screen. I can only assume the horizontal specifications are similar.

Hope this helps you, but like I said, I would verify real life installs with a professional installer. They might even allow you to play around with one in their showroom. Never hurts to ask.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
tcar,

What size screen are you using.? Can you please give me an idea of your setup. I am putting a dedicated theater in my basement and have things " worked out" in theory but we all k ow how that can go. My room is 19 x 22 with the 100" screen on the 19 foot was. The 7 foot ceiling height makes me very cautious a out my setup. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
tcar,

What size screen are you using.? Can you please give me an idea of your setup. I am putting a dedicated theater in my basement and have things " worked out" in theory but we all k ow how that can go. My room is 19 x 22 with the 100" screen on the 19 foot was. The 7 foot ceiling height makes me very cautious a out my setup. Thanks
Well I am useing an Optoma HD72 DLP at the moment projecting onto a 106" screen at a distance of 13'6'' in a room that is 15x13x7. I have one row of 4 seats that are 11'6'' from the screen. Your room is bigger so you should have no problem setting things up the way you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey u have added great points on the topic...
i like the way u have added photos for explaining it...
u have shared a great post..
Thanks for sharing this informative post..
thanks........

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger today on the Sony PRO1 and I got a great deal. I found the last one in stock at www.fullcompass.com and they made me a deal of $2200 shipped. I am very pleased with that price especially since it comes with an extra lamp in the box. I will post my impressions when it is up and running. :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well I got it setup and running and my first impression is that I am very happy with the Pic and the brightness. Set up once I figured out how to use the mount that I had was a breeze. I can watch it with all my lights on and I get a great image. I have not done any adjustments or cal yet but so far I am thinking I did good. I will be getting everything back together and cleaned up so I can get avia up and running, I will post back what I think either later today or sometime this weekend....... job alway's in the way...

·
Registered
1 Posts

This 2-D projector has a MSRP of $3395, a native resolution of 1080p (1920x1080), a contrast rating of 85,000:1, a brightness estimate of 1300 lumens, includes vertical and horizontal lens shift, a zoom lens ratio of 1.6:1, utilizes LCos technology or as Sony calls it: SXRD, weighs 22.1 lbs and includes a 2 year parts and labor warranty. If you're interested in its in-depth technical specs, you might want to try Google. This is simply a subjective review, based on my on viewing perceptions and proclivities. This review includes a minor comparison with my previous projector, an InFocus IN-83. Some of you may be aware that Sony also sells this same projector as the Sony VPL-HW20. The only difference I'm aware of is that this projector includes a spare replacement lamp in the box. I use this projector mainly for watching Blu-Rays, DVD's, DirectTV, Sports, Netflix streaming, and other internet media related applications.

First impression: I love it! The skin tones, the ease of setup, the bright 1080p picture and the sharpness projected are simply breathtaking. On further inspection, I have noticed that straight out of the box, the color calibration is not as accurate as my In-83, nor is it as bright. However not many projectors can stand up to the IN-83 in color accuracy and brightness. In those areas, the In-83 excels. Unfortunately, the In-83 has been retired, due to its lack of lens-shift, it simply would not work correctly in my current viewing environment and the perfection of its cinematic picture will be sorely missed.

After some initial calibration: The Sony's picture quality is amazing. My new theater is located in the great-room area of the garden-level basement. Other than the outer walls, the projector is viewed in an open environment, along with a 60" LCD over the fireplace, alongside the distraction of a pool table and a built-in bar. I do utilize black-out shades on occasion, but so far I've been impressed with the brightness and dynamic picture being displayed on my Stewart Film Firehawk 106" 1:78 projection screen. Blu-rays maintain a cinema quality, almost film-like. My DirectTV is only 1080i, but the picture quality is sharp and sweet. Netflix is up-scaled by my HTPC to 1080i as are all network storage and internet-content. I'm quite pleased with the results. I have been known to play XBox on the screen and the picture is both immersive and vivid. What's the since of owing a big-screen like this if you're not gonna watch sports? Well, sports displayed by this projector are quite impressive. I haven't noticed very much motion blur and I run the projector with motion blur technology in the off position. Black-levels are also a surprise. I was expecting decent black projection, but this projector exceed my expectations. The black are noticeably better than my previous InFocus. I also love the picture's depth, sharpeness and the crisp whites, as well as the beautiful skin tones. All in all, I'm excited and happy with my purchase. I did pay less than the advertised price--under $3000, but negotiations are always up to the buyer. My suggestion, if you are technical skilled at all, then order your projector online at the lowest internet price and from a supplier you trust. If you possess few skills in installing this type of equipment, then purchase locally and negotiate a good price for the projector as well as installation. All in all, I rate this projector a 9 out of ten on my perfection scale. The only thing missing would be 3-D, but currently the cost exceeds the capabilities for such equipment. Until the price drops as well as the requirement for 3-D glasses, I'll continue to enjoy the beautiful picture of this amazing projector!🇸🇳
Are you looking for best projector for bright rooms. You can buy it from Amazon or any other online store. But you should be careful while choosing your projector. Read best projector for bright rooms review now.

·
Registered
5 Posts

After some initial calibration: The Sony's picture quality is amazing. My new theater is located in the great-room area of the garden-level basement. Other than the outer walls, the projector is viewed in an open environment, along with a 60" LCD over the fireplace, alongside the distraction of a pool table and a built-in bar. I do utilize black-out shades on occasion, but so far I've been impressed with the brightness and dynamic picture being displayed on my Stewart Film Firehawk 106" 1:78 projection screen. Blu-rays maintain a cinema quality, almost film-like. My DirectTV is only 1080i, but the picture quality is sharp and sweet. Netflix is up-scaled by my HTPC to 1080i as are all network storage and internet-content. I'm quite pleased with the results. I have been known to play XBox on the screen and the picture is both immersive and vivid. What's the since of owing a big-screen like this if you're not gonna watch sports? Well, sports displayed by this projector are quite impressive. I haven't noticed very much motion blur and I run the projector with motion blur technology in the off position. Black-levels are also a surprise. I was expecting decent black projection, but this projector exceed my expectations. The black are noticeably better than my previous InFocus. I also love the picture's depth, sharpeness and the crisp whites, as well as the beautiful skin tones. All in all, I'm excited and happy with my purchase. I did pay less than the advertised price--under $3000, but negotiations are always up to the buyer. My suggestion, if you are technical skilled at all, then order your projector online at the lowest internet price and from a supplier you trust. If you possess few skills in installing this type of equipment, then purchase locally and negotiate a good price for the projector as well as installation. All in all, I rate this projector a 9 out of ten on my perfection scale. The only thing missing would be 3-D, but currently the cost exceeds the capabilities for such equipment. Until the price drops as well as the requirement for 3-D glasses, I'll continue to enjoy the beautiful picture of this amazing projector!🇸🇳
Nice review

1 - 14 of 14 Posts