Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History - This was first bought 4-5 years ago by a friend of mines brother. Then passed it on to him after 2 years. My friend had it for 1 year before giving it to me, AND I've now owned it for a little over 1 year.

Problem - 1
I noticed it when my friend had possession of it, prior to passing it on to me. There was a slight tint of yellow spreading across well over half of the screen, similar to water damage of a piece of paper. This was only visible on very white backgrounds. Not that big of a deal but still a problem.

Problem - 2
My friend decided to buy a new TV when a sudden blue splash-like blur color appears from time to time, spreading from one area to another like a lava lamp :gulp:. This comes and goes, but a major problem.

Problem - 3
I have now had the TV for a year... and the lamp just went out today... I've put up with problems 1 and 2 but now am determine to make it like new.

I've ordered a new Lamp replacement and am wondering if this will fix problem 1 and 2... if not what do I need to do to fix it. Thank you for any help and replies.

Jamie

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A lamp will not likely fix your problems. You have a bad optic block and the cost will likely be prohibitive because Sony does not sell the discrete parts for us to be able to repair them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can resume usage of the TV after I get my new lamp, but will have to put up with problems 1 and 2 for years to come? Bummer...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Assuming the lamp failed and there is nothing else going on, yes. Expect the problem to get worse. Have you contacted Sony to see if they will make any accomodation for this kind of catastrophic failure? The will likely require you to have an ASC look evaluate the set. You can likely find a Sony servicer in your area by following the link in my signature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not contacted Sony about it no... Should I? I mean, I'm the third owner of this TV and anything like receipts is likely lost. Not sure if they will even help, warranty well over it's time... unless it's a lifetime one, which again, I wouldn't know. On a side note, I live in Hamilton, Ontario. Your link does not provide service in my general area :)

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
They did extend warranties on some models, but they would likely only respond to the original owner. It cannot hurt to ask. I think there were also some attempts at class action lawsuits on some sets, so you might do some searching for that.

unfortunately, there is likely little that you can do to improve it other than a new optic block or having yours rebuilt, if you can find someone who has the parts to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts