Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After painting many DIY screens and two huge walls in my home I have come to the conclusion that I hate rollers for any fine work....good for walls though.
No matter how good I get with rollers and no matter what nap, I end up with too much texture from the roller on my screen.(pvc board)

1/4" nap is what I've been using from both Wooster and Purdy.
Most places don't carry anything shorter nap, the ones that do under 1/4" is not wool....it looks like foam but could be something else similar..

.......so what do you guys advise?(can't spray BW, correct?...so should I use a 3/16" foam(whatever that is) roller?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Matt,

All BW mixes can be sprayed. I absolutely hate rolling... I'm not good at it, it's messy, I'm not good at it... you get the point. :)

I already had the air compressor, so I went with a compressor-powered HVLP gun from Harbor Freight (see my avatar for a photo of it). There are also electric HVLP spray guns (Wagner CS) and turbine (think of it as a high-speed fan providing the air) HVLP systems (Harbor Freight now has one of these too). I've never used any other HVLP system than my current setup, but reports on the Wagner are VERY good.

As for using other types of rollers... I'll have to leave that advice for those that don't fear the roller.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently painted some C&S on some small sintra samples I have, it wasn't easy. The foam roller just smeared the paint around. The gatorfoam board sample did much better with the same roller.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
The Wagner Control Spray is a nice unit. I used it for several panels and it worked well. I was kind of shocked that it worked as I've had three previous Wagner products and they all ended up in the trash bin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know I'm late to this thread, but I too use the Wagner Control Spray. Once I got the hang of it, I was able to put down a very very smooth surface free of any defects. For the price, it certainly is a nice tool to paint a screen with and to have around the house.

-Jim

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
That's a no for the foam rollers....good to know, thanks.
Man, I have never used anything but a spraycan.
You could be a candidate for the Preval Sprayer. I successfully painted a 98" diagonal screen with one, but, and this is a big one... I only used an OTS neutral gray. I don't know how well it would deal with spraying aluminum, although the Createx Auto Air paints are meant to be sprayed. The second concern is that the Preval Sprayer sprays just like an aerosol spray can and has the same spray pattern, which is different than using an HVLP sprayer.

Be prepared though for a killer forearm workout! Spraying a 98" plus screen really is a workout with the Preval.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I know I'm late to this thread, but I too use the Wagner Control Spray. Once I got the hang of it, I was able to put down a very very smooth surface free of any defects. For the price, it certainly is a nice tool to paint a screen with and to have around the house.

-Jim
Jim I have a Control Spray as well as the Power Shot, and I know mech has a CS too... I think we all were surprised at how well it performs compared to its price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts