Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first time so bare with me.
I am interested in getting a sound bar system to enhance my 42" Sony TV. My wife will not allow wires, so a 5:1 system is out of the question. What I want to know is the difference between a 2:1 sound bar and a 3:1 sound bar and what is the preference.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hello Ray and welcome to the Home Theatre Shack :T

I presume 2.1 is just L&R speakers + sub and the 3.1 speaker combines L/C/R speakers + sub.

If I was you I would take a look at the Yamaha range of sound bars as they seem to be the favourites atm, IIRC there is the YSP1000 which is supposed to be very good indeed.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Ray. Have fun. Dennis

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Aperion has a higher end soundbar that you might be interested in as well. The Yamaha would be my recommendation if you have a rectangular room, but if not, don't try for cheesy pseudo-surround...just good sound that works with your aesthetics.

Would a 3.1 system work (all the wires at the front of the room and easily hidden)? How about in-wall speakers?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Ray, welcome to the Shack.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Ray, Welcome aboard!

As others have mentioned Yamaha is the leader in the sound-bar area but the Aperion is another great option if your looking for something with a bit higher quality.

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I wish there was a way to convince your Wife that Wires can be made completely hidden with a myriad of approaches. The SQ of a Sound Bar will never approximate what is possible with an actual HT System.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Welcome to the Shack Ray! Another NYer!
What kind of place do you live in? There are all kinds of creative ways to hide wires...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I've heard one and it works well for what it is intended to do but as has been mentioned the room must be rectangular and have no large openings to function properly. There simply is no substitute for the real 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I am considering one to go into the bedroom for late night viewing, nothing too extavagant as the 5100 but something discrete to go on the wall with the LCD panel...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
As long as the bar will be center of the wall (not to one side or in a corner) it would be good for that use.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
yeah it would be directly under the tv so central and not in any corner from the TV,I doubt that would be worth even trying :rolleyesno:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I liked the imaging the soundbar did but it still needs a sub of some sort as the low end was gone at about 100Hz

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think your situation is ideal for a soundbar as I just dont think a large space lends its self well to that design. Let us know what you think once you get it set up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have heard several sound bars. The yamaha is nice. Depending on your budget, this one from Atlantic Technology is very good. It gives a pretty good surround sound if you are within about 15 feet of the speaker and claims 7 channel results. It is meager compared to a dedicated 5 or 7 speaker system, but it is very nice and might be what you are looking for. My friend loves his.
http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=151

Again, you will need a sub to get good results with any soundbar. You could do an in-wall or in-ceiling sub if you have to deal witht the wife, but a free standing is usually the best option for the price.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts