Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,
Having downloaded the latest version last night I cannot get the sound card to calibrate. I've read the help file and checked threads and made the following adjustments:
sample rate to 44hz
increased the buffer to 128
made sure the levels are within 4db
but as soon as I click next there's an increase in the input volume followed by a big drop off (out) at the high end and I keep getting this message:

The sound card measurement varies by 59db between 20hz and 20kHz, this is much higher than in should be, the measurement may not be valid........

The measurement graph looks an absolute mess

Help please, what am I missing (go easy I'm a nooobie at this)

It's an Acer laptop with a realtek sound card, 3.5mm jack from headphones to speaker jacks.

Thank you
G.

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
It's an Acer laptop with a realtek sound card, 3.5mm jack from headphones to speaker jacks.
First, welcome to the Forum!

Not sure what you’re doing there, headphone output to speaker jacks? Those are both outputs. The loopback is supposed to be between the output and line input. :huh:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is trying to calibrate the sound card. The lead goes from the speaker line out to the mic line in as per your earlier recommendation. There's no sound from the laptop speakers and I've disabled the in built mic.

G.

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
Also, we typically don’t find people using internal sound cards unless they’re using USB mics. Perhaps this is why, the configurations of internal sound cards can by “iffy” and possibly unable to be set up properly for REW use (e.g. the internal monitor I mentioned).

There’s plenty of information in the Help files and elsewhere on this site (e.g. the REW Sound Card Database sticky thread) for a good number of hardware options that are proven to work with REW. It’s when people opt instead to forge their own path that they run into complications.

That said, ultimately you might be able to simply forgo the sound card calibration. Even the ones that aren’t that great should be reasonably flat out to at least 10 kHz and down to about 30 Hz. Depending on your particular intentions for using REW, that might be good enough. :T

Regards,
Wayne

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Worth attaching the .mdat file for your soundcard measurement for us to take a look at. Make sure that there aren't any audio effects active on the soundcard, you can check for them on the Enhancements tab of the Windows properties for the soundcard output.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, I'll investigate further. I was thinking that if it was okay I'd go with a USB mic. One thing I was looking forward to checking was how well I'd set up my sub..
G

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a thought (having tried all variations in system settings), could there be a compatability issue with my Acer Aspire 5738 running Window Vista Home Premium 32bit with REW 5.1? G

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Not very likely, no. Still worth posting an mdat file for us to look at, and screenshots of the Windows properties for your audio input and output.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
There is an acoustic effect being applied to that signal (the type of thing that gets labelled 'Jazz club' and the like). If you click on Speakers and then Properties on the Windows Sound playback tab look for a tab called Enhancements and turn off all effects. There may also be some sound effects control amongst the icons in your system tray, bottom right of the screen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts