Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have questions about using sound dampening materials Are they recommended in ported enclosures? what is a good way to keep it in place? My build is large slot ported box. start of build Cube box 30x 28.5x 22 internal approx 11ft^3 after lots of bracing and port walls internal is 6.2ft^3 excluding port.
port is 25.5 wide with 5.5 ht Lshape 22"bottom 22" up out front face, sub fires up port out front side.

would it sound better with or without dampening?
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Lining the walls with foam is a good idea for ported subs.

Damping, however, would be adding loose fill which can hurt performance of a ported sub unless you know what you are doing.

Internal cabinet bracing is also a big recommendation for any sub, sealed or ported.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,
I have done lots of enclosures, (they may not have been good or right:dontknow:).
sealed and ported, I have used it in sealed, but never in ported. I always thought it would blow out anyway.....
what type of foam works best? Thick, Thin. Placement of foam? I can get a few different typs and play around with it to see how sound changes, but then i will not be able to SEAL like i want to.
Thank you again This site has been extremely helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thank you for the link..
I like the acoustic foam, not a fan of the egg crate, I guess thats from the days of having to hang it on the wall to quite my music down as a kid:D
and one more thing, do i place on one side and below sub, or all inner walls.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I can post a picture now, so here is what I been trying to describe. the ports are huge 5.5" i put a support down the middle so there is two at 12" wide (hope there not to big) it is a prototype so changes may have to be made. so you think i should use acoustic foam? I have the NU3000dsp on backorder so I have time to build but not test, and I plan on putting a UM18-22 in there. Any opions or advice? when i first started all the 18" subs called for large ports so i went big this time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
At what point or type of foam does this start to take away calculated air space from the box. I understand the pollyfill thing but foam is pretty dense. So could anyone answer this question for us thanks. And nice job on the sub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts