Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
After i have calibrated my subwoofer using a parametric EQ , i have notes that the sound level drop down a little , then i took an SPL Meter reading and i could see that the sound level drop down around 7-DB in compare to what it has been set before calibration, is this a normal thing?
thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It likely is normal. That is, if you are calibrating to try to get flatter frequency response. If you are attenuating peaks in the response, you are reducing levels for a given system setting. More detail on what kind of "calibration" you did would be needed to say much more, but in general, for the same system settings, it would not be a surprising result.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes iam aiming at flat frq. response and yes correct i did some attenuating for the peaks in the response , some of the peaks deep down around 20-40hz i had to reduce them by -22db
would it be ok to increase the sound level up again for subwoofer by 7-db to compensate?
thanks

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yes iam aiming at flat frq. response and yes correct i did some attenuating for the peaks in the response , some of the peaks deep down around 20-40hz i had to reduce them by -22db
would it be ok to increase the sound level up again for subwoofer by 7-db to compensate?
thanks
If you desire more bass then check out the house curve articles

Hard Knee Variety

Normal House Curve

Give those a try and I think you'll find what you are looking for. It's also possible that you didn't quite glet the measurement area right. Make sure you take multiple reading over a listening area so you can get the flat of the average and not just one MIC location.

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts

Okay, but...
After i have calibrated my subwoofer using a parametric EQ , i have notes that the sound level drop down a little , then i took an SPL Meter reading and i could see that the sound level drop down around 7-DB in compare to what it has been set before calibration, is this a normal thing?
Offhand I’d say “no,” at least not as severe as 7 dB.

But what are you calling “notes?” Notes are what you hear in music, and I don’t see how you could get a measurement on a specific note when other instruments are playing other notes at the same time? :scratch:

Aside from that what exactly are you saying? That a particular “note” is now 7 dB lower than it was before equalization? That a particular “note” is 7 dB lower than those above and below it?

i did some attenuating for the peaks in the response , some of the peaks deep down around 20-40hz i had to reduce them by -22db
Sure its fine, but I don’t know how a 7-dB increase is going to make up for a 22-dB cut.

Speaking of that, an EQ adjustment that severe should never be required. I’d suggest that either the sub needs to be relocated, or the equalization itself needs to be re-evaluated. Hopefully you didn’t fall victim to the old “cut only, never boost” canard?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi wayne
what i meant excatly by saying 7-DB lower is that before i applied EQ setting to the subwoofer , when i played the test tone in my av/receiver and when the sound level for the subwoofer is on (0) my spl meter would read 75-DB , now after i have caibrated the subwoofer and applied the EQ setting (aiming at flat frq.) when i play the test tone again and the level for the subwoofer on (0) then the reading on my spl meter is not 75-DB any more , it shows that spl. is 68-DB

i didn,t use any boosting till now , but maybe i will applay a little boost around 45-55hz .
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts

Okay, I think I get that. It’s perfectly normal. When you equalize the sub, you usually have to re-adjust its level. This is because before EQ, you probably had a peak somewhere in response. Since that peak was the loudest thing you were hearing, that is what your subwoofer level-setting was based on. If you eliminate the peak with EQ, the sub will not be as loud as it was. So its level has to be re-set. Make sense?

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It perfectly make sense! and i was just thinking the same thing ,but i just wanted it confirm from some one who,s more advanced then me :)
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts