Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

sound proof curtains

18K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  neenajaquline 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where i can find blackout sound proof curtains? my room has a rear, side and front wall, but the right side is open to where the kids play area is.

I wanted to run a curtain from the front wall to the back wall on the right side to close the room off. but also wanted it to be blackout and as sound proof as can be.

Does anyone know where i can get such an item?

#2 ·
There really is no such thing but Thick felt or velvet curtains will stop some of the sound. If you really want to do a good job putting two layers with an air gap between the two would also work even better.

#3 ·
Noise blocking curtains are used in a lot of industrial applications but can be used in the home. They aren't that elegant and are typically made of mass loaded vinyl strips. Mass loaded vinyl is pretty expensive.

This site has a few for sale and might give you some ideas.
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/curtains.htm

Regular curtains or drapes aren't going to do the trick. You want lots of mass and a good seal on the doorway to make it sound proof.

#7 ·
When we renovated our house my mother made are curtains for us. My wife picked the fabric and i just asked my mother to make them as thick as possible, i don't recall what material she put in them but i know when i hung them they were like picking up cinder blocks. my reasoning for the heavy curtains was for accoustics but i'm sure with the right material and if they are heavy enough you could help to block alot of the sounds.

#8 ·
The real problem here is there are several ways to *reduce* the sound transmission but absolutely no curtain solution which would be soundproof. Further, this is a case of attempting to second guess the OPs expectations ... a heavy curtain may make him happy...it could also disappoint.

Reactions: NBPk402
#10 ·
I am using soundproof blackout curtains from 3 years they gave marvelous soundproofing effects in room and office. Such soundproof curtains are thick and they absorb outside noise coming on their way you can install these soundproof curtains on windows and doors. You should find some best noise blocking curtains, choose according to their brands. Many companies working on it to make people life soundproofing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.