Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Can't really tell much from that graph.

If this is your soundcard calibration file, the vertical axis should be -3dB to +3dB and the horizontal axis should be 2Hz-~20KHz.

You've only shown a small portion.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Not good. There's a problem.

It may be that you have a 'monitor' mode turned on in the soundcard. This results in the line-in being enabled in playback (checkable in the windows playback mixer).

Examine the soundcard application software and see if a monitor is enabled.

brucek

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not good. There's a problem.

It may be that you have a 'monitor' mode turned on in the soundcard. This results in the line-in being enabled in playback (checkable in the windows playback mixer).

Examine the soundcard application software and see if a monitor is enabled.

brucek
I thought so, but I can't seem to find where to turn that off! I am running windows XP with a C-Media sound card. Any suggestions?

edit: The advanced settings for sound recording is greyed out. I'm guessing that is where I need to go to change the loopback setting.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Take a look at the Windows Mixer in Playback (as shown below) and see if the line-in is muted.
It should be to shut the monitor off. Check this with REW running.

Simply double click the speaker icon in your desktop system tray.

Windows MIXER Playback.jpg

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Looks good.

OK, can I see a screen shot of the REW Settings page......

BTW, you are using stereo plugs into line-in and line-out, and you've broken out the right channel and have a cable connected between line-out to line-in, with the left channel remaining open.

brucek

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the screenshot. I have two stereo plugs plugged into the soundcard. I have an RCA cable plugged into both red females and the whites are empty.

REW.png

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Still looks like there's some interference or distortion there. The midrange dip is strange. If this is a lap-top try turning your wifi off and make sure you are running off of the battery pack and not the wall. Also check your levels to insure that something is not overloaded. May possibly be the sampling rate used? I had a problem like this when I first started, but I can't remember exactly how I corrected it:scratchhead:

This is just a loopback measurement of the SC right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still looks like there's some interference or distortion there. The midrange dip is strange. If this is a lap-top try turning your wifi off and make sure you are running off of the battery pack and not the wall. Also check your levels to insure that something is not overloaded. May possibly be the sampling rate used? I had a problem like this when I first started, but I can't remember exactly how I corrected it:scratchhead:

This is just a loopback measurement of the SC right?
Yes, just a loopback measurement of the SC. It is a desktop. It could be a soundcard. I could use another computer if I need to or buy a new SC. What is a good inexpensive SC to buy?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
So the soundcard calibration is good then?
No. (note that the best sweep level for soundcard cal is usually ~-6dBFS)

Why haven't you selected the soundcard in the Input / Output selection pulldowns? (example below)

Settings.jpg

brucek

1 - 20 of 49 Posts